Finally Getting the TJ Back Together!!!

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
The time has finally come! Some of you may know of my wonderful situation already, but several months ago (early October I believe) my seizing rear driveshaft gave up the ghost and graciously sent a shockwave through the entire drivetrain.

Assessing the damage, the seizure completely shattered the transfer case, tore off the backside of the transmission, bent and cracked the bellhousing, and tore 2 of the bellhousing mounting bolt holes off of the engine block. Pictures to follow.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
1764F9E7-9F79-4398-9688-3C8EC888C871.jpegSitting in the roadside service truck waiting for the tow truck.

3BA6FF51-A07B-465F-AA58-7BB7C08CBD4F.jpeg
The destroyed NP231 in the Jeep.

CE81861E-386B-4509-9F1A-959312455D16.jpeg
The Bent and Broken Bellhousing that we Tacked back together to work on the engine.

F1A55D58-2AB6-43F2-B626-69BEDE6E0834.jpeg
and finally the broken mounting holes on the engine block.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
So the first, and most stress inducing problem, was the engine block. This engine block only about a year and a half old and only has about 10k miles on it so I was really bummed out it was busted and really didn’t want to cough up the money for another engine swap along with all the other things needing replacing.

But there was hope. I have a lot of welding connections and the possibility to fix those broken bolt mounts could be welded. So I grabbed my best friend/co-worker and his dad who if any of you are in the welding world in Utah county you may know, Gordon Reynolds.

After a long day of 99% Nickel rod welding and a little bit of Silicon Bronze Tig we managed a miracle doing Cold Cast Welding.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
964F10DD-3434-4E7B-94F6-644DA8D6B14C.jpeg
D00E68EC-68BA-4245-9384-7223D7D6D63D.jpeg
8554AC7C-09AB-4E11-8491-8CC08309950F.jpegB0594C78-3288-43BB-80B7-0BF4C4421C70.jpeg
This bottom Photo is the donor Engine.
We cut and fit everything up and the 99% Nickel welded the bottom “Ear” because of its need to be stronger due to weight bearing needs. The top bolt we Silicon Bronze tig welded due to first: bad cutting and fit up on my part so there was a 1/4” gap we needed to fill. And Second: Because of its location we feared the proximity to the center of the engine increased the possibility of the cast cracking due to heat expansion and cooling.

both welds came out great (though not the prettiest) and the project could move on.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
A few months ago I sourced and rebuilt a new NP231j T-Case. No pics of that but I do have pics of the new transmission. A brand new AX15 from Novak up in Logan.
75EAD21A-E6F2-47F6-BEE5-3341252D78A0.jpeg
F2347543-8B80-42E6-B3ED-E55EA7AC9E5D.jpeg

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
This previous Saturday @Hickey and I got to work putting things back in. I forgot to take any pictures of this process but I’m sure he’s got a few.

We mounted the engine quickly as unfortunately it’s not our first rodeo in that aspect and proceeded on to mounting the new transmission. It took a little persuading due to the fit up of the welded bolt mounts not being quite perfect but we managed to get it all to work. We finished mounting all the drivetrain and finished the day with getting the main skid plate mounted up.

It’s here that I would like to give tribute to Carl’s amazing fabrication skills but also express my hatred for all the heavy steel he used to build that skid plate! Because that was a stinking headache getting it all back on and I am still sore from lifting it.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Current update:
Today I picked up the new rear driveshaft and new Crankshaft Position Sensor.

All that’s left to get the Jeep running at this point is installing that driveshaft, CPS, hooking up all the engine bay components and wiring harness, and putting in all the fluids.

Hopefully everything works out fine and I can find some time in the next couple weeks to finalize everything. I’m sure my parents @Hickey will be happy to finally have it out of their garage after 9 months 😬.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It’s here that I would like to give tribute to Carl’s amazing fabrication skills but also express my hatred for all the heavy steel he used to build that skid plate! Because that was a stinking headache getting it all back on and I am still sore from lifting it.

Haha, thanks for that---but I didn't build the skidplate. It's an off-the-shelf Teraflex Belly Up skidplate. And yes, it's heavy. :)