finally the write up for last weekend

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
finally the write up for last weekend at moab

the pics and video are still coming in but you guys just get pics for now. We got down to Moab last thursday night. We found things to be rather muddy and wet from the storms that wrapped up late last week. we ended up getting the bronco on a trailer stuck up past the trailer axles so we pulled the bronco off the trailer and drove it the rest the way up bartlett wash where we were camping. If you guys have never been over to the bartlett slick-rock area of up the pickle it is a nice back country place away from the crowds to have some fun. We ended up doing PSM-GS-GBR on friday. I grenaded some springs mid day on friday so we had to jerry rig it and turn back. The rest of the group went on through and we headed in to town in search of springs. I could see those suckers through the chain link fence at moab offroad but decided against the jump-the-fence-take-the-stuff-and-leave-cash-under-the-door approach and went back to camp to return in the morning. On saturday we had all the group there and headed for Amasa back. we did the rough spots up front and ended up turning around because there were 4-teenage girls that were terrified of heights and couldn't take it any longer(dont ask me why they came to moab if they were scared of heigths?!?). we ended up running Kane Creek. Ordinarily it would be an uneventful trip but with the recent rain storms and flash floods it cleared out some great fun spots to play in. The erosion (natural I might add) was fun to get down and play in and peeled one bogger off the rim of the EB in our group. We took all the optional routes through the trail, even the ones that went through 3 foot deep creek beds filled with water, that was an adventure rolling boulders under your front diff as you hammered it through the deep stuff!! I was really glad that I added the 8 inch pipe cap to protect the japanese sheetmetal diff steel. We got back pretty late that night after eating some mediocre food at eddie mcstiffs....people tell me the beer is good, I wouldn't know but the food was crappy and we didn't even get a good looking waitress, she looked like me in a frickin wig!?! horrified I am sure!!!:eek:

On sunday we got up and I swapped out the remaing springs we got at moab offroad the day before and hit the bartlett slick rock trail. the opening obstacle is the wall. The trick to this is to burn off all the water and sand you just stuck to your tires on the way up the creek-bed road to get there. It usually takes 1 or 2 trys if you are dry and unlocked. some had more trouble than others, a significant amount of throttle is the norm to get up this stretch. once on top we took the usual route onto some wicked optional off camber slick rock climbs and really tested the fortitude of your intentinel tract!!! this was some freaky stuff that made me a little nervous at times. After we were done, we headed up to the pickle to see the damage and it was an almost complete loss. we took some pics which I posted earlier in the week and headed on home. We had a fun trip although I did not get to run the trails that I wanted to. There is always the next time....here are some of the pics...

here is a pic of coming down the optional mini launch pad on PSM

mvc-001f.jpg

This is the wall on the entrance to bartlett slick rock
mvc-002s.jpg

here is one of the optional climbs that started about 150 feet below this, these ledges are the last obstacle before you hit the top..the initial ledge has to be bypassed in a very particular off camber way so these ledges were cake after you got past the entrance...
mvc-005s.jpg

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
here is a nice shot of the optional lines on Kane creek. you can take the low road or the high road that goes above the abandoned truck that supposedly drove off the trail ohh so long ago...the high road was wayyy fun!!!
mvc-006f.jpg

and another shot on top of the bartlett slick rock....B&W for some reason but it still looks great...
mvc-009s.jpg

This was just before I got a decent wheel stand on the v-notch on PSM...someone has to have a pic of that....
mvc-013f.jpg

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
This is me trying the optional climb at the end of kane creek, I was trying so hard to get the water and sand off my tires that it took me several tries to get up....that and the oil and crappy gas going through the combustion chamber...
mvc-014f.jpg

here is another optional route on Bartlett slick rock....Very scenic and a great place to get the suspension a workout...
mvc-014s.jpg

here is another view of that same line just below...
mvc-015s.jpg

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
here is a pic of jed flexing out the 98 cherokee...it did very well this trip with only an LSD in the rear....It's all about the wheelbase people!!!
mvc-018s.jpg

here is my pathetic attempt to tackle the waterfall just below the pickle with my short wheelbase rig with no front locker. If I had a front locker I would have had it with ease but to no avail...I had to take the strap....:mad: still a great shot though....30secs in photo shop and the strap and Roger would be GONE!!!
mvc-031s.jpg

the stud boy

http://utahclassicbroncos
is that all you got of the trip ?
well I guess we will half to go back
and take more pitcuers!
I cant beleave how good every thing
turnd out on them . is there any of larry
or james or the guy in the toyota long bed

ps :rolleyes: my head hurts from all that disco
displaying from sat .revive with newer 1.3:p