Finding elk in westvyellowstone or island park area

comingdown

Hey everybody, but probably particularly my idaho peeps. Through my wife we get tags to hunt the greater Yellowstone area for bison and elk. We typically hunt up in gardiner by the north entrance. And have occasionally taken bison in west Yellowstone. Coming from Utah, the drive to gardiner can get long in the winter. We have never seen elk in west Yellowstone but also haven’t looked very hard. I’m just wondering if anyone familiar with that area could give any tips. It’s any elk, or any bison, so we typically take cows or spikes just for meat. But if anyone has any advice to save us some driving for a harvest I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

comingdown

There isn't much snow in the IP area compared to usual. I haven't seen any animals in that area. Good luck.
Thanks. Not much snow anywhere. No bison sign in west Yellowstone as of this weekend. I’ll be in gardiner in February and hopefully get lucky then.

comingdown

Went all the way to gardiner, MT. Got 3 cow elk, a nice mulee buck, and a fox. No bison have migrated out yet, and not too many elk compared to other years. But there is a wolf pack with about 20 wolves in the area. So I’m sure that isn’t helping out. Gonna try again in February for bison and hopefully we’ll have some luck.