First Gen Honda CR-V report

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
DSC02731.jpg

This report basically includes all First Gen Honda CR-V's build from 95-01. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CR-V While all CR-V's could be considered "cars" I feel Honda went away from their original intentions in the 02 and later years by building them too car like...

If someone told me I'd post a report on my 98 CR-V and post it on a rockcrawling forum a year ago I'd have laughed in their face in disbelief. Truth be told I have really grown to like this car and despite my first impressions it has really shown some qualities that a lot of people (myself included) overlook.

DSC02717.jpg

Long story short my Ford is being a little baby and my wife has to be surgically removed from our new 4runner so I've been stuck with the Honda for the last few weeks :D Until lately I had not driven it very much but in the time we've owned it my wife has added over 40,000 miles which brings it up to 160k. I have never owned a more reliable vehicle in my life-this thing does everything we've ever asked of it and NEVER lets up it absolutely lives up to Honda's reputation. It has the standard 4cyl engine with an automatic trans, full time AWD (no low range) and 4 wheel Independent coil strut suspension. Fuel economy comes in at 28mpg on my mostly highway commute to work. As for power it gets poor ratings, however I must be used to driving underpowered vehicles because I don't see a problem with the 2.0L under the hood. It is usually in third gear in the bigger canyons, but still doing the speed limit just fine. Try that in a 45mph canyon assault Toyota R series :rofl:

Once inside the first thing you'll notice about the first gen CR-V's is the spacious interior. There is no crap, clutter or goofy trim inside. I don't think they ever came "loaded" or fancy they are just simple and practical and nothing more just like most Honda's built in the 90's. The part I like is everything is 100% functional and it doesn't serve a purpose it isn't there. If there is so much as a square inch of unused space somewhere Honda already has a trap door or shelf built in to make use of it lol. There are drawers and compartments under the seats, in the swing out door in the rear, under the rear cargo space, in the side panels almost everywhere you look there is a place to put something. There is also a hidden pop up camping table (yep a table) in the rear with a big compartment under it. With this much function I'd say it lives up to the term "SUV".

DSC02732.jpg

Now here's the real question... Is it a car, suv or offroad vehicle? All I'm going to say is it fits into whatever category the Subaru Forester does lol :p The AWD works incredibly well in snow/ice and for the fire roads, logging roads and any other trail that would rate around 3 (1-10 scale) it does very well. The size alone makes for an easy turn about on one lane roads and the large cabin provides excellent visibility in every direction. That said I would not want to tackle anything with a lot of rocks or long slow speed uphills (no lo-range), while there is a decent amount of clearance the exhaust system would likely be the first to go. I have a few battle scars on the cat and muffler haha.

Pic shows pop up camp table (It also comes complete with instructions :rofl:)

DSC02725.jpg

I don't think I'd want one for an only 4x.... well offroad vehicle. But it does work great as a dd, snow car and backup camping rig. Also they make an excellent commuter for the girlfriend or wife. I wouldn't think twice about taking this one through most of the San Rafael Swell, Canyonlands, around the GSL, to any state or national park or even across the country. I keep thinking I could maybe justify the cost of a trip to Alaska with it one day.

DSC02719.jpg

My daughter and I racked up 150k miles today offroad and had an absolute blast exploring a new area and playing in the mountains. The fuel gauge is at 3/4 of a tank and that is icing on the cake :cool: Again its NOT hardcore, not fancy, expensive or exotic just simple and practical and I find that is oftentimes good enough :cool:

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Awesome, I love how you're showing that the 'wife's car' can still be used for a fun weekend getaway into the mountains. I dig it!

sixstringsteve

wait, did you just try an expo trip without a snorkel, RTT, or arb fridge? WHat is this world coming to? :D

I whole-heartedly agree. I love hondas. My next car will be a 92-95 cvivic. It's stupid how little maintenance they require. I love toyotas, but mine have been more maintenance than a honda (not by much, but still more maint.) Thanks for the reminder that you don't need a lift and big tires to go enjoy the outdoors.

Now... Let's take it through rattlesnake!

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Shoot, once we inherit the Liberty from my wife's grandma it is going to become our camping/easy trail/expo rig. It's a 2005 with a whopping 46k miles on it at the moment. Not a lot of power, but it gets 24ish mpg and rides smooth. I love the thought that went into the CR-V with the folding table, the expo guys are always looking for the tables.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
that is an awesome report, my wife just got a pilot and i think that it would go a lot of places that i would want to go.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks for the reply's everyone. Mesha I'd love to plan a mini-ute trip! I'm determined to get 30mpg and I'll post up when I do :D Right now I'm looking into a receiver hitch so I would be able to pull a small dirtbike trailer around with it lol. I decided that this type of vehicle will never make sense until you are stuck with one :rofl:

I can't believe you drink Hamm's:rofl:

I'd drink something better.... If there was such a thing ;)

pELYgroso

'Merica
your thread piqued my interest in a reliable, good gas-mileage SUV, and my wife and I are now looking at these! We're planning on selling the '04 Corolla and getting something CRV-ish. My wife didn't like them at first (the 1st gens) but after I brought one home for her to test drive, she's now looking at them on KSL! Lots more space that we would have thought inside too! Thanks for the report!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Lots more space that we would have thought inside too! Thanks for the report!

Happy to help. It is an acquired taste trust me, but I fall more and more in love with this... uh... car :)o) every time I drive it!

I've toyed with the idea trust me, but too bad no snorkel option :rofl: I really wish OME had a stiffer spring option for the rear because I'm planning on adding a class III receiver to carry the dirtbike around on. I think the "nudge" bar would be pretty cool too, and aside from function it would make it look even more manly lol :D

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Land Cruiser is down for some repairs so we spent the afternoon exploring and blasting through snow drifts in the rootin' tootin' raspberry :cool:

This car can do no wrong :D

480739_570916082942146_2065962310_n_zps0cb4692d.jpg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have been driving a 2 door explorer sport for the last 2 years and have the same love/hate feelings towards it. I am determined to drive it until I cannot fix what is broken. I currently don't have a truck but have hauled more crap in the Ex than I have in my last few trucks. With a towel on the dash to prevent windshield damage, I can haul 12' sticks of tubing in it:) It hauls my mtn bike everywhere and gets around 20 in the city. I have really had my eye on one of those new ford mini sprinter vans though.