First Gen Honda CR-V report

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Still love the CRV Steve I drive it daily and have no complaints. 190K is right around the corner and it's asked for nothing but routine maintenance in return. I should note that checking the valves every six months has proven to be a good idea. As it turns out many of these cars have fried heads due to soft valve seats which cause the valve(s) to 'tighten up' over time and burn. I came close to learning that the hard way in 2012 :ugh: Supposedly if they are kept within spec (super easy to adjust) the B20B will last a very long time. At this point I have no reason to believe otherwise. Anyway I had the windows professionally tinted opting to have the rear passenger and cargo/rear windows be very dark. The privacy and sun protection is a much welcome improvement over no tint. Also I met my goal of 30mpg many times over the last two summers. My record is 32.8 mpg which is on the brink of 400 miles to a tank yahoo!

To answer your question the Land Cruiser does get all the attention when it comes to trails, camping and exploring. That said I have a few trip ideas for 2014 where the CRV would really shine.. That's if I don't work 24/7 all summer long like I did this year :rolleyes:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Great in snow. The AWD is outstanding. I probably sound like a pep rally :eek: but the design really does work well. There is no clunking, pulling, binding, loading/unloading, dead spots, slop etc. It goes unnoticed until your tires loose traction then you remember the rear is spinning too.

I'd recommend the car to anyone. If I was looking to buy I would take a code reader. Pull up the history (if it hadn't already been erased) and look for a cylinder/multiple cylinder misfire-super easy. It it had one logged I'd pass. If it didn't and everything else checked out good I'd buy it then take it home and check the valve lash. That is the only mechanical issue I am aware of and from everything I've read and learned over the years it isn't an issue as long as they are kept within spec. The 99-02's had a little more compression and gained 20hp..

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Cool. For all the hiking, snowshoe etc trips you guy's do I think the car would be great. They're kind of expensive for a used 90's car but looking back it was well worth it.

Check out the Element too. Once you get past the look (they grow on you) they have a lot going for them. I think I'll replace my CRV with one some day.

sixstringsteve

I can't get into the element for some reason. I think it's the horrible blind spots in the back, and the need to open the front doors before the rear doors can be opened. Don't the CR-Vs get much better MPG? (going off what I "remember" when I was researching).

Is yours a 5-speed or an auto?

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Elements are kinda fun in their own way but the doors are stupid. My mom has an '05 CRV and it's got to be one of the best cars I've ever been around as far as quality goes. One cool thing about the element is that it was available with a manual after the CRV discontinued it.
I've always wanted to get a first gen CRV with a manual and boost it. I will probably get a second gen like my mom's one day as my wife loves it as well. Maybe even a new one

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I agree with you guy's on those doors really dumb design and for whatever reason so many manufactures continue to use it :-\

Don't the CR-Vs get much better MPG? (going off what I "remember" when I was researching).

Is yours a 5-speed or an auto?

The first gen CRV's likely get the best mileage of any Honda suv. It is a tradeoff for lower power output though. While I see it often in the summer I would not expect to get 30+ mpg from these cars all the time. I think a safe bet is around 27mpg daily driving. I measure mine off of the odometer with stock tire size..

It's an automatic.

I've always wanted to get a first gen CRV with a manual and boost it.

That would be really cool. There's so much aftermarket support for the B series out there it would be totally do-able :cool:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Cool. For all the hiking, snowshoe etc trips you guy's do I think the car would be great. They're kind of expensive for a used 90's car but looking back it was well worth it.

Check out the Element too. Once you get past the look (they grow on you) they have a lot going for them. I think I'll replace my CRV with one some day.

I had an element for awhile. It was an alright car. I hated it at first, but ended up really liking it. We got the AWD version and it was decent in the snow. The mileage was not what I wanted.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Does the CR-V have a frame, or is it a unibody like a civic? What hangs down the lowest underneath?

It's unibody with coil struts front and rear. Most everything sits tucked up and out of the way except for the exhaust. It hangs pretty low without any real viable options of rerouting it.

I had an element for awhile. It was an alright car. I hated it at first, but ended up really liking it. We got the AWD version and it was decent in the snow. The mileage was not what I wanted.

Oh man was it still in the 20's or worse? :sick:

MattL

i was in the same boat questioning a crv. found a great deal on a 98 subaru forester and havent looked back. only bummer deal is i get 22-24 mpg. i still dig the looks of early crvs. getting more power out of them can be expensive from what ive read. later models with manual trans was what i was looking for and seldom found one under 4k.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Everysooften I get the itch to drive to Jackson. It's weird because I'm not a big fan of Jackson--summertime forget it I drive through and try not to pull my hair out. During the off season you might find me saddled up at the Million Dollar. It's the drive mostly, the breathtaking scenery, dodging cabin fever and enjoying the vast emptiness of southern ID and WY.

Olly and Sid were eager to tag along. It's funny how dogs can sense you're going to be taking them somewhere. All I have to do is touch my backpack and these two go bananas lol. .

photo-10_zps4d7b662b.jpg

With four bald tires and a questionable spare I hit hwy 34 and headed up to Soda Springs for lunch. Not in the mood for fast food and quickly running out of options I spotted what looked like a double wide trailer with the words 'Mexican Food' painted on the side of it. Hmmm. I pulled in. It looked vacant but the door was unlocked so I walked in. HOLA AMIGO!!!! :eek: After having the flu for the last week my voice is gone but I managed to squeak out an order for a steak burrito then began watching Good Burger with some kids parked in front of the TV. I've had good burritos, I've made good burritos I've even lied about a burrito being better than it actually was but I must say this was one of the best burritos I've ever had. It was huge and it was yummy!

It's about 50 or so miles from Soda to Freedom in mountainous terrain and the roads looked like this the whole way. I slowed to about 40mph and only saw one other person.

photo-8_zps0730ed56.jpg

If you like revolvers and you haven't heard of Freedom Arms you're missing out. Check out my new CB whip :greg:

photo-9_zps6639a59d.jpg

Salt creek is a tributary of Palisades reservoir and it flows through much of Star Valley WY. I'm not a fly fisher but if I was this is where I would hang out.

photo-7_zpsc3a6d862.jpg

That's it for pics--let down I know--you'll just have to take my word for it when it comes to the scenery being breathtaking lol. As for the CRV I felt like a wannabe in the land of Subaru's and Starbucks but we managed to sneak though unnoticed. No issues at all other than I almost buried it in the snow on a county road. With a little finesse I was able to turn around but my next upgrade will be a folding shovel just in case. I checked fuel mileage and going off the odo I calculated 29.6mpg! Yahoo!

1995zj

I'm addicted
Wait...my wife has one of these. It's a 1999 with ~90k miles and I agree, the low maintenance on this thing is awesome! Did I just read there is a camp table in it???? I'm looking at that first thing when I get home!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Yesterday I ran a heavier gauge wire to the rearmost DC outlet in the CR-V. Not it stays on when the key is off and should provide plenty of power for my fridge :cool:

I've noticed a puddle of antifreeze a little bit smaller that a penny accumulating where the head meets the block. I'll wipe it away and several weeks later it is comes back.. Not sure what to think right now--probably the head gasket. I don't think it would be terrible to replace but who knows what else will pop up if I dig into the motor that far.. Runs great now so that's good.

Oh 1995zj you read right. The camp table is awesome!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Oh man I wish I would have figured this out years ago! Look what the seats can do :eek:

Fairly comfortable (although it doesn't look like it in the pic) with more than enough leg room... Stealth camping. No tent. Can't wait to try it out.

photo-12_zps9be9f0ad.jpg

sixstringsteve

hey, not bad!

How many miles are on this baby now? If you were to do it again would you go with the 5-speed or the auto?