First Gen Honda CR-V report

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The only real problem I've had with this car is a slow leaking steering rack which has leaked ever since I bought the car. I'd add a few teaspoons every ~3000 miles or so and that didn't really bother me. This week the seal (+70k miles later :eek:) finally let loose.

Every repair I've made to this car to date could be compared to working on a lawn mower.. It's stupid simple. That is until I attempted to remove the steering rack. It's fought me the whole time and after I finally removed the last bolt (so I thought) I realized the rack wouldn't come out. It was hung up on about an inch of subframe. After a search on the web I find that I need to remove the drive shaft, transfer case (which dumps all my transmission fluid) and exhaust to complete this task.

I think for the first time in my life I'm going to have someone else repair a vehicle for me. Too much headache :p

snomobill

I gotta admit that the 1997 CR-V I picked up last winter for a cheap daily driver has way exceeded my expectations.DSCN1729.jpgcrv_loaded1.jpg
Shown here on a recent backpacking trip to Montana. Two adults, three kids and 5 backpacks. The kids love the table. I only wish it was a standard tranny model but beggars can't be choosers.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The CR-V rolled over 200k miles recently! It is starting to show its age. All the suspension bushings are wearing out and I had to replace the rear struts last week--normal wear and tear though imo. I was able to fix the small antifreeze leak (it was a simple o-ring NOT the head gasket as I suspected) and a new valve cover gasket fixed the light oil seepage on the head. I have to say Fel-pro makes an awesome upgraded valve cover gasket for the Honda B series.. well worth the money. Little things but overall I know it has a lot more life left in it and it doesn't owe me a dime :cool:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The CR-V left my house for the last time today :( Hopefully it is good to its new owner.

I freaking loved that car. I think I'll buy another first-gen CR-V when our Subaru dies haha.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Why'd you sell it? I've really enjoyed this thread, thanks for keeping it going.

Thanks Steve. Kind of a long story but a big decision maker was my wife's sister and family recently moving from Ohio to Arizona. At 200k the Honda was starting to show its age (although far from worn out), and with her wanting to make the long drive several times per year with our kids we decided to retire the CR-V in favor of something a bit newer, safer and with lower miles. The plan was to find a 07 or newer CR-V with ~100k. As we looked around we quickly realized the newer ones are not nearly as affordable as our 98 was when we bought it and way out of our price range :-\

We talked ourselves into an 07 Subaru Outback. The price was right and it had a lot going for it.. Unfortunately everything didn't 'quite' go as planned at first as outlined here in my awesome Outback thread haha. See post #20
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?109495-Subaru-Outbacks/page2

I cant believe it has been so long, I think you will enjoy the Subaru just as much if not more. At least now after all the work you have done on it.:eek:

Time flies doesn't it?! And I think so. At this point my wife is really in love with the Subaru. I'm starting to warm up to it as well.. albeit slowly. If it is half the car the CR-V was I'll be happy :D

Last edited: