Fishing pole set ups.

RogueJeepr

Here!
How do you guys like to set up your fishing pole ? (Top OR bottom)

Mine has always been set up for the bottom. Running a water filled bubble and a small hook for worms, salmon eggs, other
Along with a cheese hook , both about a foot or so away from the bubble.

Sometimes I catch a fish, more often not.
I should probably fish the top more.

Let's share tips and set ups. Maybe we all can reel in a few more [emoji226] .

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
The only type of fishing worth doing is with a fly on a fly pole. :D I've got a 4 wt and usually use a renegade or an elk hair caddis.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Spinning reels should always be on the bottom. Closed faced reels should be reserved for people you don't like. :handlebars::cody:

Lately I've done spinners/spoons more than anything, ice fishing I'll use bait like night crawlers/power bait/wax worms.

rholbrook

I fly fish and I will usually fish where the most fish are. They say 85% of the fish in a river are in the bottom 1/4 of the water you are fishing. If you are fishing a river that is 4' deep then the fish are within the first foot of the river so on the bottom. Thats were most the food is so I will normally fish the bottom. Thats not to say I don't fish the top either. I love throwing streamers or dry fly fishing because I love doing that too but if their isn't a hatch bringing them up on top, you are wasting time IMO. When a fish comes to the top to get a bug, it has to make the trip worth it. It has to get enough calories to cover the calories spent getting to the surface to make the trip worthwhile. I have always done very well nymphing and I have a couple of flies I tie that I use and do well with on the bottom. The distance between the flies and length of your strike indicator is very import as well.

I used to lake fish a lot and have thousands of dollars worth of gear for that and for some reason, I have never been able to figure out how to catch anything bigger than 10lbs at Flaming Gorge but I can catch fish in a river. Oh well.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Im hoping for more fishing up at skyline Dr. this year.
Probably the southern end and fish snow lake, loggers, and grassy lake with a few others. I'll bring my fly pole and give that a shot as well.
Always forget it or no room for it.
Any suggestions up in that area ?

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Just got back from Bridger. Powerbait off the bottom with a sliding sinker kills them at that lake, it's not even fair. Josh had luck with a fly and bubble too.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Im hoping for more fishing up at skyline Dr. this year.
Probably the southern end and fish snow lake, loggers, and grassy lake with a few others. I'll bring my fly pole and give that a shot as well.
Always forget it or no room for it.
Any suggestions up in that area ?

Sing out when you go if you want some company, I haven't fished that area either. I don't know what I'm doing with but I'll bring my fly pole too.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Sinker bubble and power bait have always had good success, I can't remember the last time I caught a fish with floating a bubble and worms. Had my first success with an empty sinker bubble and about 3 feet of line with a fly on a spinner rod. We weren't fishing with powerbait we were straight up catching, so I switched to fly setup and pulled 6 in over the course of about an hour. Had lots of hits but setting the hook was a bit tricky with that setup

RogueJeepr

Here!
Tried my fly pole and wasn't sure if I was whipping it right .
Switched back to the bait pole and got a snag fishing the bottom. So I emptied half the water and made a longer (20") cheese hook line.
Saw a few bites but fish was too small. Switched the cheese hook for a fly on a longer line but the wind picked up and no bites.

One thing I liked about the half filled water bubble was it stayed floating in the same spot during the wind.

It was fun to experiment with different methods though.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Can you fish the backside of Deer-creek reservoir ? There's a dirt road near the dam that follows the railroad tracks.
Want to get out one last time.

Tonkaman

When we were kids we would use the track to mob our dirt bikes to the best private beaches on the lake. It certainly isn’t legal access to be in the roads or tracks and the sheep herders over there will let you know it! I’m sure if you walked the shoreline it’s fine though

Tebbsjeep

I used to fish that part of Deer Creek 3-5 times a week when I lived down there. You do have to walk the trail, and I've never had anyone bother me. Even the railroad guys didn't care that I walked the tracks, as long as I moved for them. I mostly stayed within a mile of the dam and had decent success there. I also fished the Walsburg side too. There is a hole on that side that the planters seem to school in at certain times. They aren't big fish, but you catch a lot of them. Take my info for what it's worth though. I haven't fished Deer Creek in over 3 years.