fj40 vs minitruck axle shaft diameter

muleskinner

I know the lengths are different, but are the spline count and axle diameter the exact same? (Fronts)
Thx

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The front inner-axles are the exact same diameter for a 76+ FJ40 and even FJ60's also. The rear axle diameters on a FJ40 are 1.31" diameter and 30 spline. I'm not positive on the rears of a mini-truck but I think they are 1.31" in dia. also...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I have quite a few axles sitting here... FJ40 front inners, FJ60 front inners... mini inners... I haven't actually measured any of them, I am just pulling my specs out of my vendor catalog... The ARB catalog verifies these dimensions. AS far as swapping the two, you can use a mini inner and outer directly for a FJ60 axle... There are some differences in the birf for a 78 and older FJ40 vs a 79+ FJ40 and FJ60, mostly just length issues...they can be made to work just as you can make a fine spline birf. work in a course spline front axle...

If you need to take a look at some more axles, your more than welcome to stop by and check em' out, just let me know exactly which ones you need so I can verify I have em'

Good Luck:D

Oh yeah...On the rear axles...many of them are larger diameters on the entire shaft but they taper down at the diff... There are some differences there but I havn't ever measured them...:D

muleskinner

Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
Oh..top secret eh:confused: Oh well;)

umm yea top secret... I want to put some waggy d44 outer knuckles and shafts on my mini 3rd. I've seen it on fj40's but not on mini's. I'm waiting to hear from spencurai on an axle he has for sale. I need to find out about the width differences on the waggys. wide track or otherwise. I've heard 61'' on some but I measured one today that was 65'' wms.:confused: I want to stay with a stock width shaft, close to my rear 60''. I'm going to check on a scout 2 d44 I think its about 61 or so. Any help is appriciated :)

Last edited:

BRBx4

i have messed with d44 shafts and a toy 8" third, as i have both sitting in my garage. the d44 shafts do fit the spiders, but you can tell that they are not meant to be together. the splines on the 44 stuff seem to be cut at a lesser angle and dont engage with the spiders as completely as toy splines. it may be no big deal, but it seems like it would be much easier to strip the splines off the d44 axle in a toy diff. compare the two sometime, you'll see what i mean. just cause sumthin fits doesnt mean it was meant to be beat on the way we do. not trying to discourage you, just servin up some info--hth-brad

muleskinner

I havent put them together yet but I know dj fron dj's traction systems has run this with the fj40 3rd for about 8-10 yrs that I know of with an ARB. I'm going to talk to charles at rocky mtn. tomm. for more info. Thanks for the input.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by muleskinner
I havent put them together yet but I know dj fron dj's traction systems has run this with the fj40 3rd for about 8-10 yrs that I know of with an ARB. I'm going to talk to charles at rocky mtn. tomm. for more info. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, go talk with Charles and Dave...both of them have been involved with some...we have worked on a few trucks like that but its not something I prefer..IMHO

Why do you really want to go with the D44 outers??? With a set of longs you are now worlds stronger than a D44 and the only other thing you gain is a little bit tighter turning radius... Other than that you lose alot fo stuff...standard axle shafts, etc...

muleskinner

We have a guy in our group that ran super birfs in his runner last year. (I dont know if they were longs,marlins, or who's they were) He went through 4 sets with 35 in tires. I ran a 44 in my full width fj40 with 36x14.50 swampers. I only ever broke 1 outer in 2 years of hard abuse. I replaced it with a warn. Ive just had bad experiences with birfs.:confused:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm sure that they were not longs if he broke 4 sets... alot og guys are running 38's with longs with zero problems. Von and Carl from Rocklogic4x4 run longs in their competition truck, they are running 38's and havn't broke a long yet...lockers and all. I just hate the idea of no drop-out 3rd member... either way it sounds like you know what your up to using the toyota center so you retain the third-member..Good Luck and keep me posted, I want to check it out when done:D

muleskinner

I talked to Dave and Charles today and compared shafts and gears. There is a difference for sure in the spline cut but they say that they have not had any come back with spline problems yet. I'll keep you posted. It's being done as we speak! I have read good things about the longs and only heard of a few breaking. have you heard of much trouble with the stock rears failing much?
I'm wondering if the chromoly shafts are a must with 37's. Prolly so. Anyway thanks for the info.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Concerning the rear shafts, the stockers should take quite a bit of abuse before you have any problems.

I'm running 37" MTR's (Haven't put to many miles on them) and I don't expect many problems. If your running a 37" Bogger, then I would get some spare shafts, if not the ChroMo's you mentioned.

Also, since Vons rig has been mentioned, he runs stock shafts in the axles with 38" SX's and has yet to have a rear shaft fail. And that truck isn't driven lightly, Von puts that thing thru the Wringer.

I think you'll be fine with the stockers, but carry a spare just in case.

muleskinner

Is he running stock inners in frt? I will be running the MTR's as well. Mabey upgrade later down the road to the ChroMo's. I assume your locked rear? What locker are you using?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Von is running stock shafts in the front, and had one fail after some very hard abuse during a Comp.

I have a Detroit in the rear. If you are running MTR's I wouldn't be too concerned about the Rear Shafts. Radials aren't quite as harsh on the drivetrain as a TSL or Bogger would be. I had all 4 of my MTR's spinning a few times during my last Moab trip and I never felt like I was in danger of breaking anything. I was also very careful about the situation, though.