Toyota FJ80 front axle rebuild: request for assistance

Lka1988

poor college student
EDIT: Change of plans. Not going to happen until next week. Sorry.

The last remaining part I need for my front axle (front diff) is arriving this week. I'd like to rebuild the axle this coming Saturday, but I'm gonna need some help. I'd like to do a run on Snakes afterwards.

Quick and dirty background story- I stripped the front diff splines back in November, thought it was a busted birf. Removed both birfs and inner shafts to find stripped splines on the inner shafts. I think it's safe to assume the side gear splines in the diff are pooched as well. Axle housing is hollow right now, been running in 2WD the entire winter.

The axle needs to be rebuilt anyway, and I have everything needed to do the job- wheel bearings, gaskets, Marlin HD FJ80 inner seals, new birfs and inner shafts, and everything else associated.

This will be familiar to anyone who knows how to work on a Toy axle, the bits are just bigger and the housing is longer.

Time/Place: Saturday morning, say 9:00-9:30 am, Northern Pleasant Grove, by the cow farms.

PM me for my address if you're interested, and if you have a tie-rod puller (NOT a pickle fork) and a seal puller/installer.

I'll see if I can get pizza and drinks (no alcohol) or something to sweeten the deal... :D

-Lane

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'm gonna try and make it just to familiarize myself with Toyota axles. :) I have a pile of parts from Kurt ready to go in my 40 axle. :)