Flaming Gorge Nov 2-3

Houndoc

My dad and I made a quick trip to Flaming Gorge on Monday and Tuesday. We fished with my friend Bruce Parker, and his wife Marjorie (they run the fishing guide service Conquest Expeditions out of Manila.)

We fished for 2-3 hours before sunset Monday, the again after sunrise Tuesday (Linwood Bay is closed to fishing this time of year from sunset to sunrise.) Weather was perfect, calm and cool but very pleasant.

And the fishing? Not too bad at all.

The first fish, which ran roughly 18 pounds (catch and release, Bruce estimated the weights) took less than 5 minutes to have on board.

18pounder.jpg
[/IMG]

My dad landed this 27-28 pound lake trout a short time later:

Dads28.jpg
http://[/IMG]

Next up was this 28-30 pound monster of mine:

Mybiggest29.jpg
[/IMG]

Could you ask for better fall fishing weather than this?

Beautifulfishing.jpg
[/IMG]

A few more nice fish followed:

bigheaded26.jpg
[/IMG]

dad24ish.jpg
[/IMG]

Another26.jpg
[/IMG]

By the time we headed out with the moon rising behind us, I had landed 4 18-28+ pound fish, plus my dad had 3-4 more. We also landed 6-8 in the 3-5 pound range.

Moonrise.jpg
[/IMG]

Houndoc

The next morning started off well:

morning22.jpg

Dadsmorning22orso.jpg

Dadmid-teens.jpg

Also landed another 6 or so 2-5 pound lakers, one 14 and 6 burbot (largest about 28" long) between my dad and I.

thanks Bruce & Marjie!

Conquest.jpg

muleskinner

Nice fish. Did you see any assholes snagging them? It looks like you guys were right over the old gravel mounds where the Macs like to spawn. I noticed the fish in the 3rd pic looks like he's been snagged before.

DAA

Man, you guys really knocked the snot out of them. Nicely done!

I fished with Mr. Parker once, a bazillion years ago. Okay, maybe more like 20-something years ago.

- DAA

Amy

Limited Supply Of Sanity
Sad, but I had no idea there were fish that big in Flaming Gorge...:eek::eek:

Houndoc

Muleskinner has the location pegged.

We were jigging in roughly 60 feet of water.

As to the snagging, the reality is you have no control over that what so ever. The fish are agressive, and will at times hit the lure with their body before/instead of biting (common predetory instect, stuns the prey.) And when the fish are 50+ feet underwater, you can't know which they are going to do, or do anything about it if you did.

Some of the fish we landed where in the mouth (including the largest one, the one with the old scar you mentioned), some where snagged. The law is that any foul hooked fish (snagged) must be immediately released. Such it was done, including on some of the smaller fish that other wise would have made a very tasty meal.

The exception to that rule is the burbot, which must be kept and killed if caught, period.

Houndoc

They are fairly heavy jigs (metal, nothing fancy), I think a friend of Bruce makes them. Mostly used green ones, although did catch a couple on white, one burbot on red.

Yea, it would have been good skiing water, although a little cool! A couple years ago I would have skied over the deer hunt had a brought a swim suit with me.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
They are fairly heavy jigs (metal, nothing fancy), I think a friend of Bruce makes them. Mostly used green ones, although did catch a couple on white, one burbot on red.

Yea, it would have been good skiing water, although a little cool! A couple years ago I would have skied over the deer hunt had a brought a swim suit with me.

Thanks,

I have tried to jig for them without sucess. If it is not too much trouble, I would love to see some pics of your jigs.

Muleskinner, feel free to join in.

onetoncruiser@comcast.net

Thanks,

Houndoc

Sorry, the jigs are my friends, so I don't have access to a photo of them. Honestly, I think about any large, lead headed jig would likely work.

I am new to the area...i am originaly from wisconsin where i am used to ice fishing. but not for trout. I have noticed people selling ice fishing gear around here lately. So my question is there good ice fishing up there for trout and how thick does the ice get around here. Snowmobile thick or 1/4 ton truck thick.

muleskinner

I am new to the area...i am originaly from wisconsin where i am used to ice fishing. but not for trout. I have noticed people selling ice fishing gear around here lately. So my question is there good ice fishing up there for trout and how thick does the ice get around here. Snowmobile thick or 1/4 ton truck thick.

Last year it barely froze (8'')on the north end. the year before we used wheelers to go about 10+ miles down lake. (20'' of ice) The Burbot fishing is killer in the winter and they are great eating.