Flat Towing 4-Runner---Will it work???

parks_pop

I need some help.

What do I need to do (if anything) to safely flat tow an 87 4-runner with an automatic transmission??
Can I just put the trans and transfer case in neutral and go?

Max Power

Bryce
Im pretty sure thats all you have to do. Be careful to make sure that your tcase is in neutral or you could run into some drivetrain problems.

74highboy

i have a friend that flat tows his tacoma 87 i think he says you have to take the drive line out so it doesnt burn up one of the seals in the t case cause no oil is getting pumped threw it i would say take the rear drive line out and if you can unlock the front hubs

V-DAWG

someday
I would disconnect the driveline so it doesn't burn up the t-case. Some vehicles don't have that problem, but I wouldn't risk it.

Also, be sure the alignment is dead on. I tried to flat tow a vehicle once, and I was out of alignment, so it kept pulling to the passenger side. That can be scary at speed, but I didn't even make it out of my neighborhood.

parks_pop

What about putting the rear tires on a dolly? Would that eliminate the t-case from having problems?

By the way can someone explain what the problem would be with the transfer case? If it was in neutral what would be the problem??

74highboy

if the motors not running the oil in the trans and t case doesnt get pumped around so no oil gets to the seals and it burns them up

my friend is woring on using a front axel under the rear so you can unlock the hubs on the rear to tow when he gets it done ill have him put the info on here so you can see what he did