Flat towing Jeep behind 5th wheel

kirk86CJ

I called the dealer and I asked them what the truck was rated for to pull. They said 10.5. I assumed they meant in addition to the weight of the truck. If not, then that would mean it is rated for 3,800 lbs which doesn't seem reasonable.

Did I misinterpret what they said?

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
kirk86CJ said:
I called the dealer and I asked them what the truck was rated for to pull. They said 10.5. I assumed they meant in addition to the weight of the truck. If not, then that would mean it is rated for 3,800 lbs which doesn't seem reasonable.

Did I misinterpret what they said?

No that sounds right.

So i guess add up what your going to haul. I'm used to adding the truck to the load it is carrying. If you get weighed then they weigh the whole set up truck and all. But no one looks at what the truck is rated at, just what it's registered for.

So 12,500lbs with out he truck.

So it's the lenght and how safe of set up it is that is what your determening (sp)

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
my CJ says it's registered for 12000#. Does that mean it can tow an 8000# trailer? I hope not.

My F-350 has a gvwr of 9900# Rear axle weight rating of 6000# It also has a weight rating in the owner's manual that says the total truck and trailer weight. Something like a gross combined vehicle weight rating (gcvwr?)somewhere in the 17000# range.

When you delete the 7000# weight for the truck that leaves a total trailer weight of aprox 10K pounds. Maybe thats what the dealer meant?

To be totally legal, you need to be under gvwr(good luck), under axle ratings, under length restrictions, under combined weight limits, and you'll need breakaway brakes on that flat towed jeep.

I guess it's up to you which law you need to break :)

Almost any truck with a slide in camper will shatter it's gvwr, does that mean it unsafe? maybe...maybe not

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
MR.CJ-7 said:
Almost any truck with a slide in camper will shatter it's gvwr, does that mean it unsafe? maybe...maybe not
The point is, pickups are not designed to pull this kind of setup. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
MR.CJ-7 said:
my CJ says it's registered for 12000#. Does that mean it can tow an 8000# trailer? I hope not.

The state of Utah automaticaly gives you 12,000. if i wanted to and had alot of money to waiste i can go register my 85 f 250 diesel for 80,000 pounds but my truck can't haul that much of course not. your right with saying tire rating, length and registered weight are the only things he needs to figure out. I'm sure he will have to break all or some of these laws but i don't care i just care about the saftey part of it.