Fly Rig Upgrade Conundrum

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've been FFing for probably 15-20 years on a starter pack ww grigg 9' 5 wt. I upgraded my reel to a Lamson Konic 2.0 probably 7 years ago. The konic is kind of beat and dinged up and still works well but my rod is falling apart. I've been meaning to replace it for a few years but haven't yet, its time.

I fish the high uinta lakes and feeder streams. I don't know how to fish rivers so I've only been on the weber once and the provo once as well. I'm catching small to medium stocked trout mostly. With a bum knee I've been fishing the same lake for the last 5 years because hiking hasn't really been in the cards. My knee is feeling better right now but will get replaced in January and I hope that'll allow me to access more streams or just be a bit more mobile in where I fish. I get out maybe a half dozen times a year but when I do I really have a good time.

With that in mind I'm trying to decide whether to drop down to a 4 wt and buy a new reel as well or stick with a 9' 5 wt and keep using the Konic. My thoughts are that because I mostly have been fishing lakes that a 4 wt won't be as good for longer casts (but I don't feel like I really lay out a ton of line anyway, most of the fish I catch I sight then target within 10-15' of shore.) When I do hike the streams are more overgrown and I think a 4wt would be fine. I certainly don't feel like I catch anything that would overwhelm a 4 wt size wise.

I'm willing to spend a little bit of money but want to stay all in at about $800. If I stay with a 5 wt I'll spend more on the rod and keep using my reel. If I drop to 4 wt I'll spend less on the rod to allow for a new reel.

Am I over thinking this?

I'm going up to the mountains next week with a mess of scouts so I'm looking to pick something up in the next few days.

Thanks.

ID Bronco

First...........I was recently treated awesome by a fellow RME'r, and to pay it forward you can make a trip to Idaho and I'll float you down a river that will be awesome. I'll make it great.

Back to your original question: I have lots of rods in different weights, and use them for different situations. Your current set up is ideal for about 90% of fly fishing. Fishing streams with a smaller wt. rod is funner, the fight is better with a lighter rod. I use a 3wt on most small streams and usually go with an 8 ft. rod just to fit in tight spaces. A lighter rod won't allow you to bomb line as well as your current set up. It's nice to launch a streamer or leach out in a lake and get a longer retrieve (more time in water=more chances for fish but it has to be in the right depth zone)

If you want a lighter rod, I'd look at the sage Accel or a similar rod. I'm loving mine right now. you can get them on ebay for $4-500. Loop makes the Cross which I like too. All name brand reels have great drag systems, and on a light rod you will most likely never use the reel for landing fish or at least not very often. You'll just strip the little guys in, so I wouldn't go crazy on the reel unless it's for looks. You can get a decent reel for a hundred dollars if you shop around. If you have a 4wt, and then put a 6wt line on your 5wt rod, you will be set for nearly every situation you will encounter in the western states (unless you get into sreamer fishing)

Last edited:

rholbrook

The fish in the Uintas are not normally big enough to tax the 5wt rod. You may want a lighter rod to make the fish feel bigger. If you want to learn how to fish rivers, I would love to take you up on the Weber or Middle Provo and work with you.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Very generous offers from both of you and I'd absolutely love to take you up on them but don't know that I'll be able to find the time this year. When my yard work mellows out though I may reach out.

So, should I consider getting a 3 wt rather than a 4 wt for the Uintas? We fish Washington lake and Tail lake (which is connected at high water to washington.) Like I said earlier though my knee is feeling pretty good due to a cortisone shot so I'm going to try and hike up around the crystal lake trailhead with my scouts next week. I read a shootout review of 4 wt rods from yellowstone angler and they really seemed to like the Hardy Zephrus ($679) and the Shadow ($350.)

As far as line in the water and whatnot. I'd say 90% of the fish I catch I see before I put down my line. I don't have waders so I'm just shore fishing but at least at washington fish zoom the shoreline like crazy and I end up getting those guys. Because of that, and my ADHD, I don't spend much time casting out far from shore to see if anything is there and hungry. Maybe about 40% of the time I'm using a dry dropper but otherwise I just use a dry fly.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I ended up going to FishWest after work yesterday and left with a Echo River Glass 6'9" #3, and a Lamson Liquid 1.5 reel with some nice line. I was prepared to spend more money but certainly wasn't pushed to do it by the guy that helped me out. I am into this new setup at just over $500 with the rod, reel, line, tippet, and a few flies I was needing to restock. I think the fiberglass rod is going to be pretty fun for the cute little fish I tend to catch and perhaps in another couple years if I can find some bigger water I'll upgrade my #5 rod and continue using my other reel set up for that.

I'll report back after the trip next week with the scouts.

ID Bronco

That sounds like a great set up, Echo makes great euro rods, I'm sure they are great. The hardy rods I fished with were way overrated. I love the reel I have from them though.

I'm excited to hear your report!

ID Bronco

Very generous offers from both of you and I'd absolutely love to take you up on them but don't know that I'll be able to find the time this year. When my yard work mellows out though I may reach out.

You need to change your priorities. Fishing should nearly always override yard work.