"Forced induction" for the V10 3V ???

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I keep telling myself I don't want to mod my tow rig but every now and then I run across something that makes me wonder. Just a little background in case someone is reading this and doesn't know my situation. I bought a 2010 3V V10 F350 about 2 years ago https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/forced-induction-for-the-v10-3v.117979/ . I've put about 23k on it commuting and towing. The truck has NO problem towing one Jeep on a trailer so I quickly sold my single hauler and bought a WELL USED 28' 14k lb gooseneck. Trailer weighs 5800 lbs itself. Add a couple Jeeps to it and you've got quite a load for a pickup. Anything newer than 2015+ is likely shrugging a load like that off pretty well? 6 speed+ transmissions and HP/Torque upgrades to all the light duty truck platforms really make them pretty capable for a load like I'm hauling. Older stuff, maybe it needs a bit of help?

I'm surprised at how well the F350 chassis/brakes/integrated brake controller works. Even though I'm running a SRW F350 it's rare that I feel that I don't have enough suspension/handling to handle the at capacity load outlined above. There are times that the 5 speed trans/3V V10 is lacking a bit of oomph. A few extra gears in the transmission (one between current 4th and 3rd for sure would be fantastic while trying to maintain momentum on some of the long mountain grades we encounter towing in the west--there's one hill I've towed with this load that bumped me down into 2nd but I had PLENTY of grunt to bounce back up to 3rd after 1/8-1/4 mile--that hill is from Carson City over to South Lake Tahoe. It's probably the most beast hill I've ever encountered towing).

I'm wondering if I'd get a 20-30 hp hit from going with something like this? https://venomaire.com/

At a few Jeep/offroad events you may have run across a pretty clean deep red early Bronco and it caught my eye. Interesting product for sure. 1605888264861.png

Anyone ever use one of these?

Last edited:

SnwMnkys

Never heard of that product.

Have you looked into tunes from 5 Star Tuning? A lot of the motorhome guys running that motor seem to say good things about them. They have dyno charts on their web site.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Never heard of that product.

Have you looked into tunes from 5 Star Tuning? A lot of the motorhome guys running that motor seem to say good things about them. They have dyno charts on their web site.

I have looked into 5 star. They basically fuel map and change shift points. Nothing wrong with that at all and that might be all I do? $450 or so for that change. Since I've changed the tires on the pickup, I think I've talked myself out of a gear ratio change. I was planning on going to 4.56 but I think a little torque/power bump would be pretty helpful.

I can't imagine the VenomAire giving more than 3-5 psi of boost? Maybe not even that much? Curious if it would make a difference. Crossing 8000' passes, whatever you can get wouldn't hurt at all?

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I sure wouldn't mind picking up a couple MPG, but that VenomAire feels like snakeoil? Maybe I'm being skeptical where I shouldn't, but ...

VENOM2SX systems are NOT superchargers or turbochargers. They are NOT, what some call “electric superchargers.” The VENOM2SX is a Multiple Stage, Multiple Spool Axial Forced Air Intake.

... I'm not seeing the difference.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I sure wouldn't mind picking up a couple MPG, but that VenomAire feels like snakeoil? Maybe I'm being skeptical where I shouldn't, but ...

... I'm not seeing the difference.

I'm with you on the skepticism. Thus the post up. It does seem like it'd force SOME air in but it's certainly not a supercharger or turbo type hit. It's more like a Pontiac "Ram Air" system that might actually work a little? The idea is that air would be "forced" into the intake. I work with electrical fans all the time on servers and switches/routers. Those fans REALLY move some air but I don't think you'd get an actual supercharger effect. With an engine drawing in air like it does, I'm not sure if the fans would increase the amount of air coming in or just get in the way of the vacuum?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I’ve seen their setup many times. And I know 3 people who have them installed. I know they like them.. but I don’t recall if they are anything super awesome or not. I’ll ask.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I've always been irritated by the lack of aftermarket support for the Triton V10. Awesome engine. I think I'd spring for the 5-Srar tune first.

It suffers because it's only ever gone into rigs where it was compared to the Powerstroke. If it had ever made it's way into a production Mustang I think there'd be a lot more enthusiasm for it.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I dunno about your V10 but for me that's just under a 1 mpg increase. I'd have to drive a long long way for that to pay off.

yeah I'm going to have an unpopular opinion and say I'd rather put that $1500 towards payments on something more powerful :rofl:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
yeah I'm going to have an unpopular opinion and say I'd rather put that $1500 towards payments on something more powerful :rofl:

Some truth.. but I often remind myself that my purchase price was WAAAY less than a diesel, and my maintenance cost is way less, and it still does 90% of what I need without hesitation.. and only needs a little more help about 10% of the time.. and even then it's not bad. For example, I can only pull my loaded trailer at 70mph up spanish fork canyon, not the 90mph a diesel could.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Some truth.. but I often remind myself that my purchase price was WAAAY less than a diesel, and my maintenance cost is way less, and it still does 90% of what I need without hesitation.. and only needs a little more help about 10% of the time.. and even then it's not bad. For example, I can only pull my loaded trailer at 70mph up spanish fork canyon, not the 90mph a diesel could.

I don’t even want a diesel. I want a Ram 2500 or 3500 with a 6.4 Hemi. I’m sure it would be a big step up from a V10 is the point.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I don’t even want a diesel. I want a Ram 2500 or 3500 with a 6.4 Hemi. I’m sure it would be a big step up from a V10 is the point.
So you’d take one of the worst trucks ever built, and delete the only redeeming part (Cummins) it ever came with? I’d take ANYTHING but another gasser Ram, my last work truck was one it it sucked to drive. Luckily, it fell apart at 70K and got traded.