"Forced induction" for the V10 3V ???

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
So you’d take one of the worst trucks ever built, and delete the only redeeming part (Cummins) it ever came with? I’d take ANYTHING but another gasser Ram, my last work truck was one it it sucked to drive. Luckily, it fell apart at 70K and got traded.

I bought my ‘12 1500 brand new and it’s been an awesome truck 🤷🏼‍♂️

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
So you’d take one of the worst trucks ever built, and delete the only redeeming part (Cummins) it ever came with? I’d take ANYTHING but another gasser Ram, my last work truck was one it it sucked to drive. Luckily, it fell apart at 70K and got traded.

Haters going to hate, I know the '03-08 era of rams weren't that great, if not horrible. But the 09+ trucks are really nice, they got even better in 14

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Haters going to hate, I know the '03-08 era of rams weren't that great, if not horrible. But the 09+ trucks are really nice, they got even better in 14

yeah it’s all good. I know some super dedicated brand loyalists that have had straight-up terrible experiences but they still think their brand is best. It’s a weird deal but meh

lhracing

I'm with you on the skepticism. Thus the post up. It does seem like it'd force SOME air in but it's certainly not a supercharger or turbo type hit. It's more like a Pontiac "Ram Air" system that might actually work a little? The idea is that air would be "forced" into the intake. I work with electrical fans all the time on servers and switches/routers. Those fans REALLY move some air but I don't think you'd get an actual supercharger effect. With an engine drawing in air like it does, I'm not sure if the fans would increase the amount of air coming in or just get in the way of the vacuum?

The Venom fans can put out a lot of air, they are a brushless design turning up to about 40,000 rpms and can draw 40 or more amps.

4x4_Welder

I don’t even want a diesel. I want a Ram 2500 or 3500 with a 6.4 Hemi. I’m sure it would be a big step up from a V10 is the point.
Dodge did not fix the cam issue with the Hemi MDS. I had a 2018 eat the cam right on cue at 110k.

The tech in that Venom thing is along the lines of the latest craze for RC planes, electric jet engines. There's some pretty wild stuff out there, but yeah tons of power consumption.
I'd look into a Banks Power Pack system for that, along with a bigger throttle body. You can really feel the power drop off over about 3800rpm, they just don't have a very good intake and exhaust system. They were designed to be a low RPM grunty engine, but that left a lot on the table for upper end power.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Dodge did not fix the cam issue with the Hemi MDS. I had a 2018 eat the cam right on cue at 110k.

The tech in that Venom thing is along the lines of the latest craze for RC planes, electric jet engines. There's some pretty wild stuff out there, but yeah tons of power consumption.
I'd look into a Banks Power Pack system for that, along with a bigger throttle body. You can really feel the power drop off over about 3800rpm, they just don't have a very good intake and exhaust system. They were designed to be a low RPM grunty engine, but that left a lot on the table for upper end power.
I've often heard that headers are a great add to that motor.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Consider a high volume/low boost turbo setup. Enough to wake it up but keep reliability intact. Intercooler a plus, but hold off and add later if really needed/wanted. If my 8.1 dually didn’t have high miles, this is the route I’d be going. 🤷‍♂️

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Consider a high volume/low boost turbo setup. Enough to wake it up but keep reliability intact. Intercooler a plus, but hold off and add later if really needed/wanted. If my 8.1 dually didn’t have high miles, this is the route I’d be going. 🤷‍♂️

I agree with this 100%, guys are having pretty good luck with the right Chinese turbos if you want to keep it cheap. That V10 with 5-6 pounds of boost coming on down low would make it a beast. Get a variable geometry turbo so it spools right away, but can still move air at higher revs.

Perhaps some methanol injection if running w/o an intercooler for those long uphill pulls. I'd say do the work and plumb in an intercooler from the start.

I've also considered a turbo on my 6.0 GMC, but with over 300k on it, I'm hesitant.

haulinshine

The 2018 Ford chassis package cars have a really restrictive looking y-pipe, I'd imagine the truck part is the same as the RV chassis one.
when ford switched from the 2v to the 3v in 06 they completely redesigned the exhaust system to fix the restricted exhaust. All of the 6.8s have the same setup regardless of application.

haulinshine

So a set of 3v headers would benefit my '03 2v? Or did the head change too?
I don't know if they are the same or not, I think there was some changes to the head as far as flow in and out to get the extra 50hp so they may not fit. There are a lot of header sets out there for the 2v. If you are willing to spend the money banks has a pack with intake, headers, highflow cats, full exhaust, and a tuner for around $1200. Otherwise you can find pretty good headers in the $500 range for it.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
A fart fan in a tube isn't going to do anything at all. Zero boost. Those things are well known gimmicks and scams. At $1500 this is a scam. To make 3 or 4 psi of boost on a V8 you'd probably need a compressor that does like 30 horsepower ballpark (over 22 kilowatts, or 1600 amps from your alternator). A supercharger on a V8 will typically draw 100-200 hp from the crankshaft just to compress the air. A powerful turbocharged V8 will be utilizing a portion of the upwards of 1 megawatt(!) of lost heat going gout the tailpipe at full tilt.