General Tech Ford 8.8 high pinion (F150)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I read something about the Ford 8.8 (pretty sure it was an offroad magazine from the early 2000's) front, high pinion that was used in certain year F150's (and Expeditons?) with IFS.

I'm trying to nail down what year Ford's have this high pinion 8.8 and how available they are and what gear ratios are out there, should be plenty kicking around.

Apparently Currie Enterprises uses the 8.8 gears for their high pinion 9" (may not offer them anymore?), but they recommend only using them with less than 400 HP and 35" or smaller tires. Mostly for smaller, lightweight Jeep applications. Sounds like the ring gear contact is the weak point as it doesn't have much tooth contact and can be easily broken if you exceed those limitations.

Anyone familiar with these high pinion 8.8 gears?

Greg

Admin
Hmmm... looks like it's just the 8.8 gear set cut for high pinion use, from '97+ F150 IFS axles. Just read online that Currie used a custom cast carrier, but not sure how reliable that info is.

Wondering if a 9" carrier would accept high pinion 8.8 gears? Flip the carrier?? Wonder if you'd have sufficient oiling...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I remember Creighton had a HP9 in the back of his CJ....after breaking the gearset several times, it was replaced with a LP60. :)

His was a 35 spline setup, so I do believe it used a 9" carrier. (unless it was a Currie-specific deal like you mentioned)

RockChucker

I don’t think Currie offers their high pinion 9” anymore. I understand it was a proprietary 3rd member that bolted into an 9” housing and I think it used the 8.8 carrier and gears. I’ve spent a good bit of time searching for a couple because I think they would work well in a flat fender. But I’ve not been able to find any.

Greg

Admin
I remember Creighton had a HP9 in the back of his CJ....after breaking the gearset several times, it was replaced with a LP60. :)

His was a 35 spline setup, so I do believe it used a 9" carrier. (unless it was a Currie-specific deal like you mentioned)

That's right! He did drive it pretty hard, it had a Chevy 350 didn't it? And 35" tires IIRC. That does seem to be a common theme (breakage), as I'm researching. The Currie (and apparently short lived Yukon HP 9") doesn't have a pinion bearing support like the True Hi9 does, which makes all the difference in gears breaking or surviving.

I don’t think Currie offers their high pinion 9” anymore. I understand it was a proprietary 3rd member that bolted into an 9” housing and I think it used the 8.8 carrier and gears. I’ve spent a good bit of time searching for a couple because I think they would work well in a flat fender. But I’ve not been able to find any.

Yeah, sounds like the Currie high pinion 9" is a thing of the past and for a good reason. I also read that it was custom cast 3rd by Currie like a Ford 9", using the 8.8 gears. It's too bad you can't use factory parts to build one!

A small-tire, short and light weight Jeep is what I'm thinking about. ;)

I did find a friend that has a few 97+ F150's that he's parting out... I think I'll still pick up a IFS chunk and play with it.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That's right! He did drive it pretty hard, it had a Chevy 350 didn't it? And 35" tires IIRC. That does seem to be a common theme (breakage), as I'm researching. The Currie (and apparently short lived Yukon HP 9") doesn't have a pinion bearing support like the True Hi9 does, which makes all the difference in gears breaking or surviving.

Yeah, sounds like the Currie high pinion 9" is a thing of the past and for a good reason. I also read that it was custom cast 3rd by Currie like a Ford 9", using the 8.8 gears. It's too bad you can't use factory parts to build one!

A small-tire, short and light weight Jeep is what I'm thinking about. ;)

I did find a friend that has a few 97+ F150's that he's parting out... I think I'll still pick up a IFS chunk and play with it.
No 350, just a 258.

If you're wanting a HP third member, the Toy 8" is about the only one I can think of besides the $$$ 9" offerings. If you want to just build an axle, you could use a D44 center like I did on my 100's front axle. Using D50 gears if you want more gear strength.

Greg

Admin
No 350, just a 258.

If you're wanting a HP third member, the Toy 8" is about the only one I can think of besides the $$$ 9" offerings. If you want to just build an axle, you could use a D44 center like I did on my 100's front axle. Using D50 gears if you want more gear strength.

Ahhh, no V8 and still breaking gears.

I thought about the HP Toyota, but who puts Toyota axles under a Jeep... 😆😚

Wonder if you could retube a Superduty D60 front for rear axle use.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Wonder if you could retube a Superduty D60 front for rear axle use.
That’s exactly what Ryan did for their rear steer JK build. Obviously he made it a steering axle but not a big difference in theory.

Greg

Admin
That’s exactly what Ryan did for their rear steer JK build. Obviously he made it a steering axle but not a big difference in theory.

Awesome, good to know! A D60 is overkill for what I'm planning, but there aren't many strong-ish high pinion rear axle options.

Cost becomes a factor too... at some point, it's simply not worth justification for a little Jeep, on little tires.

RockChucker

I thought about the HP Toyota, but who puts Toyota axles under a Jeep... 😆😚
🙋🏽‍♂️ I’m leaning towards toy 9.5s for my flatty project. Aside from a Nissan h233b or a 9” toy axles are all the options for a drop out third with fabbed housings. I did consider an h233b high pinion variant. But they were never offered in a US vehicle as far as I can tell. Maybe @Stephen knows about an obscure patrol or something that had it.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
🙋🏽‍♂️ I’m leaning towards toy 9.5s for my flatty project. Aside from a Nissan h233b or a 9” toy axles are all the options for a drop out third with fabbed housings. I did consider an h233b high pinion variant. But they were never offered in a US vehicle as far as I can tell. Maybe @Stephen knows about an obscure patrol or something that had it.
Nothing USDM, unfortunately.

Agility Customs

Vendor
All of the Currie HP 9” were just the 8.8 gears and they only ever built them with 31 spline carriers. Although I know I have built a few that had ARBs in them. With that being said every one of those third members came with to me with busted gears…..

I say run LP 9” thirds flipped upside down with portals!!!