Wanted Ford Dana 60 steering knuckles

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I don't have any for you, but i know there are lots of different knuckles that fit lots of different axles. What axle are you putting them on? Do you need inners and outers?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Go superduty axles or atleast superduty inner Cs and knuckles and never look back. The old Kingpin knuckles are junk and more notoriously the ford version.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Don't you get stuck with unit bearings if you use superduty knuckles?

Yes you do, you say "stuck with" like its a bad thing.... The superduty stuff in stock form is stronger all the way around over a stock kingpin setup.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Not necessarily just a discussion for strength, but doesn't it limit what wheel bolt pattern, hubs/flange and brake rotor selection as well.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Not necessarily just a discussion for strength, but doesn't it limit what wheel bolt pattern, hubs/flange and brake rotor selection as well.

Not at all you can get any bolt pattern in a unit bearing you want as long as its not any smaller than a 5.5" bolt circle (which is also the same restrictions as a normal 60. Also the factory superduty brakes are amazing if you want to lighten up the setup the brackets to bolt up wilwood calipers and a 14" rotor are like 40 bucks

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
That's great news - where do you source the unit bearings. OP sorry about the derail, but I think this proves that you have some good options available.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Branik machine, Currie, spidertrax, trail-gear there is even a member on here.that will take your 8 lug unit bearings and machine the correct bolt pattern into them for pretty dang cheap.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I recently built a mega hi9 with superduty outers and it was an amazing setup. I used the JHF weld on high steer kit and wilwood calipers20180510_134354.jpg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Most of my ultra4 friends have nothing but problems with ball joints. Robbie goes through a dozen per year: Synergy too. Bearings for my kp 60 are $15/per. For my 2012 SD truck: $300/ per with Moog.

My KPs are 30+ years old and still tight with just new cups... Sure the stock knuckles are weak in stock form but you can plate them or buy cranes, Reid's or others and kp inner c in the aftermarket too.

Just my $.02

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Robby will admittedly say the premature wear on his ball joints is from sub par inner Cs and knuckles. Also not a single stock kingpin knuckle is racing ultra 4. I would rather replace ball joints than worry about a knuckle falling off the car.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Aftermarket KP knuckles are very strong and very durable. I've personally had ball joints shear. Hard to shear a solid KP. I like the idea of spidertrax spherical bearings in a knuckle lots too.