General Tech Ford Superduty Dana 60/50 specs

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So how much of an improvement is a 50 over a 44? Are they all over the junkyards or still hard to find like a 60? Can they handle 37-40's without having to worry?
A huge improvement. At least the solid axle 50's, you might want to swap 35 spline inners down the road but I see no issue with 37's

Easy spotters guide, dana 50 had a 1 1/8 pinion nut, where a 60 is 1 5/16
Correct: except on the metric/ superduty 60's. I swear the Dana 50 is larger than 1 1/8"

6/28"???? who uses 28 as a division of an inch!?!?!?
My plastic calipers that's who! :p

Good info thanks! Who makes the 35 spline carrier for the 50?
You're welcome.
ARB and Detroit I believe. Also Jantz makes a kit to swap the 60 ring gear and carrier into a 50.

Last edited:

Chevycrew

I buy and sell a ton of superduty 60s, all 50s I have seen have the 1 1/8" pinion nut. Same as a 44. All 60s I have sold have the 1 5/16. Not saying its fact, but I've never seen different.

STAG

On my grind
Just thought I would add to this a bit in my recent experiences.

TTB Dana 50 hubs will swap onto Kingpin D60 spindles, and use the same bearings. Just in case you are looking for cheap hubs, junkyards usually have dozens of TTB50 axles and let the hubs go for $15-30.

However TTB spindles will not work with Kingpin D60 knuckles because on the TTB outer knuckle the brake caliper bracket and the outer knuckle are one piece. On the other hand, on the kingpin D60 the brake caliper bracket is its own separate piece, and the flange on the back of the spindle is about 3/8" longer on the D60 spindles than the TTB50 spindles, in order for the end of the spindle to go all the way through the caliper bracket and about 1/2" into the outer knuckle.

So hubs, bearings and rotors are interchangeable, spindles are not.

(I know we already talked about this, but I deleted the other thread and this info belongs in this one. )

Cascadia

Undecided
So I'm back looking for an axle again. Thinking about a dana 50 for price factor and the cheap matching rear sterling. They'll be going under a yj. I'm looking to run 37-40" tires. Detroit in the rear and selectable in the front. I'm not looking to compete or run buggy stuff. Will this axle do? What upgrades are available and should be thrown at it or can it run as is?

STAG

On my grind
Yes-ish. You can do a unit-bearing conversion kit to run regular serviceable bearings but after that cost you're into regular D60 costs. I have no idea on lockers or stuff like that that are available.

1TonTom

Poser Offroad Bronco
So I'm back looking for an axle again. Thinking about a dana 50 for price factor and the cheap matching rear sterling. They'll be going under a yj. I'm looking to run 37-40" tires. Detroit in the rear and selectable in the front. I'm not looking to compete or run buggy stuff. Will this axle do? What upgrades are available and should be thrown at it or can it run as is?
Keep your eye at the Junk Yard for the superduty 60's (Tear-A-Part in SLC) they seem to always have Superduty's they put new inventory out on Thursday make sure you find one that say's 248 on the tag on the axle tube or the easiest way to tell is bring a 1 5/16 socket with ya and that is the idiot proof way of telling them apart 50's are okay but for the extra effort the 60's are the way 2 go....... for the 50, ARB is the only selectable locker made for them..... That I know of

Last edited:

UFAB

2002 or newer has the D60

The tag has the date on it and ratio.

Bigger pinion nut is the easy identifier.

We have Steering knuckles machined and ready for replacement cores. Arms are waiting on the shelf as well.

MItch