Ford transmission rebuild

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
My brother's transmission on his 99 power stroke is toast, so he's looking to get it rebuilt. He talked to this guy off of ksl, and he seems pretty knowledgeable. Do any of you know this guy, or heard of him?

Rebuilt 4R100 and Ford Transmission https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/66533648

IMO if its worth doing go to a reputable shop thats going to be able to offer you support in the future and warranty the work down the road if a problem exists

Tip Top Transmission and Intermountain trans have both done great work for me.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
IMO if its worth doing go to a reputable shop thats going to be able to offer you support in the future and warranty the work down the road if a problem exists

He's not wrong. Worth a few extra hundred to get a quality piece vs having issues down the road or not getting something resolved.

Tebbsjeep

His current transmission was supposedly "built" through Wild Diesel and it only lasted 50k. I'm not sure who they use for their rebuilds, but he's not happy with their work. He's been calling around and getting quotes from different shops and prices seem to range between 1800-4k with various warranties.

The guy listed above claims to use all new parts and all updates needed for strength, etc. If he pulls/installs the trans himself, then he warranties it for a year/12k miles with a contract. That's about the same warranty that he's been told from the big shops.

This is all second hand from what he's told me, but I said that I'd see what you all thought.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Hey @skippy , have you done a lot of business with those shops, or just a one and done?
I have done ALOT of work with Intermountain, and quite a few of those were one off trans and custom torque converter builds.

I recently started using tip top when I had a time frame that Intermountain couldn’t make happen (just to busy) and they treated me well, the job was done when they said it would be and it cost exactly what they said it would.

Either way no matter which way you go. Tell them Ryan with Agility Customs sent ya.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Please update us when the rebuild is done. My 2002 F350 is still running the original trans at 150,000 miles or so (large cooler and custom valve body)

Tebbsjeep

So we pulled the transmission yesterday. It's a pain to do on the ground. Make sure you have the truck high enough off of the ground to get the transmission out from under the truck. It took some creative maneuvering but we got it out.

We loaded it on the trailer today, and it turns out that Intermountain is the company that did the last rebuild. We found their tag on the bell housing. So now my brother has some pause about taking it to them again. He's going to call them tomorrow, but he might go with someone else now. We'll see what happens.

Tebbsjeep

My brother called me today and said he ended up taking it to Tiptop. He did call intermountain first to talk about his old trans, and what all was changed in the last rebuild. Apparently they went on the defensive when he told them it only went 50k, and said that he must've done something to it or his truck was modded too much, etc. It has a mild tow tune, a 4in exhaust, lift with 35s, but otherwise stock. So nothing crazy.

So after that call he wasn't to keen to take it there. He went and talked to the guys at tip top and had a much better experience and felt like they'd do a good job. They are even going to flush his trans cooler for him free of charge, which is cool. They should have it ready in about a week. I'll let you know how it drives after we get it put back in.

Last edited:

Tebbsjeep

So the transmission went in pretty smoothly. My brother had a great experience with Tip Top. It drives great and my brother said the truck has more power than before, even without turning his chip on.

Unfortunately he wasn't able to drive it for very long after putting it in. The back plate of the HPOP that we just had rebuilt from terminator, started leaking oil. He sent the pump back to be fixed under warranty, and the truck has been sitting for a couple months. He is tired of working on it. At least for the winter.