Forest Lake Trail 10/3

Pike2350

I don't have pics of this trip unfortunately since I was the leader...and had my 6 yr old daughter with me to contend with.

Anyway, Myself, ZuKeyper, and another friend of mine in his FJ Cruiser went up and ran Forrest Lake. It was muddy, but not nearly as muddy as I expected. The lower part just after the river crossing is by far the worst....and although my friend in his FJ needed to have a few smaller rocks stacked to get unstuck on his control arm mount and hitch, we all made it. I haven't ran this trail for a couple of years now...and I have to say, I'm surprised how much worse that section is then it used to be. It's probably been a good 3 years since I ran it. While it's not really hard, it definitely should keep out unprepared rigs more.

The ride up was nice and steady, and it was nice to get to the top and be the only ones up there. Forest lake itself is VERY LOW. I was pleased to see that the forest service has done a good job to indicate where not to go into the lake....where people have tried to mud bog in the past. The trip down was a little more crowded. The first was a group of Jeeps and Samurai that met us right after we came down from the lake. Low Range was sponsoring a ride up there I believe (or heard something about it in passing from people) We had to negotiate with a few groups of Toyotas on the way down, where the trail gets quite a bit cozier...although each group only had about 3 trucks...so not 100 % sure how that trail run went. We all made it through unscathed.

I'm still getting used to my truck and the SAS....since I really haven't driven it much since the rework was done. I climbed everything pretty easily....even the lower portion. I was able to just put it in 4wheel drive and go. The other 2 had their lockers on. I was also pleasantly surprised that the kiosks and fencing I helped put up during National Public Lands day a good 7-8 years ago were still up and looking pretty good. (This was with the Utah4x4club)

Overall, it was a good day. No damage, a little slipping in the mud, but not nearly as bad as I expected. It does look like there could be a clean-up up there sometime in the near future. I didn't get as much trash as I usually do...because leading the group makes it a bit harder to constantly stop and get out....but it could use it.....even my 6 yr old mentioned about people littering....which was good to hear her say it was bad and understood that part.

If I can get any pictures from others I will.

Pike2350

I forgot to mention that the deep rut near the top was quite full of water. This is apparently the only photo my gf got...and it's of Charles' FJ. You can see ZuKeyper's LJ behind it.

EWbiNOj34NGIuT6HjQzt93Kz0TmYTs1fyjmst4sM7wYdj9GDactN0uVOMToYCKOMRbqFAZdOOpp88CTvTqMJVC9IpokkloEWN6UArFVKPjgjITf0Qv3iYajXirC_O-gSZx6gUjcQsd4kxDiqFMQLUeicM8tNNnzGmSFdjbHQO0wt7zN35V8dB4X7KqOvhfB3Pbsy_3DpLSkNGTl6KeSdHdVlRz89c18PKcNnMm2keyK6f3Tg3DrIuUg5cnNZNf7GFlu1FCY7oV31oqKPPKBXV5ult2HhSVaiZQP_8POJmoJkzc9k2qlDF38vDz7z7UDri7foJXMmVRYgVcrE6rSNbVZohGNeLZCrTDmSr7aezXfJjIWAmxNXKa7WQpAlr4gOsg48v3QhamhMpQ4c3MrlI0UYAit7spl_2JojTvyz7S2nDwEAVoSCHJm37BliepUMvLYY-65kg-LlbNYtj7D1fzSff4KGMKEREZkh8ji70qPlPpoLPwqDJ_DZM0_LLbqwNRdiflK-eTuRMenYDBNncDSXdFeZz7mjZxoAKzfFNaQ=w511-h907-no

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The recent work and upkeep on Forest Lake has been thanks to the Utah Jeep Crew, whom adopted the trail after Utah 4x4 Club disintegrated. They have been quite active up there and performed a bunch of work on NPLD last month.