Four Corners Tour, Spring 2014

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Well, my wife had 2 weeks off for Spring Break and we wanted to head to Baja but it just wasn't in the cards. Instead we decided to stay 'local' and visit some amazing Anasazi Ruins and amazing canyons around the Four Corners area. Our plan was to make a big loop and visit Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, Canyon De Chelly and the Goosenecks in Utah. We loaded up the Land Cruiser and headed South on a chilly Sunday morning, ready to learn more about the people that built amazing structures, then mysteriously vanished in short order.

On the way to Mesa Verde we stopped at the Anasazi Heritage Center in Dolores, CO. It was an excellent museum with thousands of artifacts, pieces of recovered pottery, weapons & tools, etc. It was truly impressive & I'm glad we stopped. The most interesting thing I learned was the size of the Anasazi and a life size depiction of a family... on average they were between 4' 7" and 5' 4". They were tiny! I didn't take many photos, so I'll say it's a place you need to see for yourself. ;) Just a couple pics of uncovered artifacts...

i-pWgHP7P-L.jpg

i-KXnrpjM-L.jpg

After we left the Anasazi Heritage Center, the winds were howling and a massive wall of dust headed our way. We were going to head to Hovenweep, but the storm was coming from that direction and it looked nasty... one of those desert wind storms that comes around once a year or so. We stopped and explored some very dilapidated ruins at the Sand Trail Pueblo in the Canyons of the Ancients and the storm moved in while we were hiking around. We got sand blasted and decided it was time to head for shelter. We were planning to stay in the RTT and cook our dinner on the tailgate of the Cruiser, but thought it would be difficult at best. Upon arriving at the campground we saw some camping cabins and figured it was in our best interest to upgrade from the tent to the cabin. Dinner was great... and sand-free! And we slept well in the cabin while the winds howled outside.

i-NcC5g7X-L.jpg

i-pMPGKHh-L.jpg

The next morning we headed into Mesa Verde... we were disappointed to learn that 1/2 the park and ruins were still closed, due to it being the off season. :wtf: Oh well... we made the best of what we could see. It was impressive, some great feats of engineering and construction. The Anasazi didn't have horses to help with construction, so all timbers & stones were moved and placed by hand. They built their houses in the cliffs and overhangs for protection from the sun, weather and their enemies. Another interesting thing we learned was that the average life span of the ancestral Puebloans was 32 years... and by that age, their teeth were so far worn down, due to the rock dust that was a result of grinding corn down into Maize. Many died of disease, malnutrition and warfare. :eek: We learned about Kivas (the round holes in the ground) and how they are special places of worship, that the 'windows' in the buildings were actually door ways (small people!), and how they worked together as families and built their homes in order to support each other.

i-63bkPqT-L.jpg

i-ZktRbZZ-L.jpg

i-kmKxjzk-L.jpg

i-L3MTXB3-L.jpg

i-Sk5DXV9-L.jpg

i-7dTVzPC-L.jpg

i-RxrP8zd-L.jpg

i-bsVtbrD-L.jpg

i-PXk7H7g-L.jpg

Greg

Admin
Next we headed into Chaco Canyon and the impressive ruins in New Mexico. Chaco Canyon is said to have been the center of spiritual, political and trade in the area. There's much evidence found that indicates that people from as far as Mexico came up to Chaco Canyon! They've also found 6 roads leading into the area from different directions, leading straight out for 20+ miles.... very neat engineering feat. It's said that at it's height of civilization it would have supported around 5,000 people! The walls were built very thick at the base and tapering as they got taller, using flat rock and mortar. The scale of some of these buildings is simply massive, they're much larger than I expected. Even some of the Kiva's are gigantic. There's so much more to the shape and construction to the buildings, it's interesting to read about. Chaco Canyon is laid out with a paved road that gets you close to most of the structures, then you hike from the parking areas. There are also several other ruins that require bigger hikes... we didn't make any of the big hikes, due to the howling wind. It was borderline miserable when we were there... but we still saw plenty.

i-jNhsRvs-L.jpg

i-9jqNpQp-L.jpg

i-R7SPdRp-L.jpg

i-f44NRXd-L.jpg

i-jg4XvHx-L.jpg

i-xRZLqXs-L.jpg

i-b6df3DN-X2.jpg

i-hzbNNXK-X2.jpg

i-ssdGCrK-L.jpg

i-7VrzFDW-XL.jpg

i-BMSwSd9-L.jpg

i-XsMcmfD-L.jpg

i-GL2x6Ss-L.jpg

i-pM2w6nf-L.jpg

i-Cr9v4WP-L.jpg

A friend mentioned that there is evidence of violence and even cannibalism at Chaco Canyon. :eek: I hadn't heard of this before, so started searching and found a very well-written article with plenty of scientific proof of in cannibalism Chaco Canyon. I like the writers explanation for the cannibalism at the end of the article, sounds logical to me. - http://www.canadafreepress.com/inde...ruins-of-chaco-canyon-in-northwest-new-mexico

Greg

Admin
After leaving New Mexico, we drove West to Canyon De Chelly in Chinle, Arizona. The name Chinle in Navajo translates to"Flowing Out", referring to the water in the canyon that ends right outside of town. This has been a destination I've wanted to see for almost 20 years! I have an Ansel Adams black & white print of Canyon De Chelly that I've admired for a long time and was excited to finally make it there. While Canyon De Chelly is a National Park, it's also on the Indian Reservation and is a no-fee park. There are 2 roads that go to lookouts on both sides of the canyon, plus an incredible looking hike to White House Ruins that descends 600' into the valley. If you want, you can also pay to have a Navajo guide take you into the canyon on horseback and even 4x4! I'm hearing that you can schedule an overnight 4x4 trip and stay at Spider Rock... I really want to do this this Fall. :cool:

I also decided to play around with some neat features on my camera. The lighting wasn't great, it was morning and the sun was in the back ground, the skies were overcast and it started snowing towards the end. It was pretty chilly, as the elevation reached up to almost 7,000'. I'm no photographer, but like to play around. :D

The mouth of the canyon...
i-5n4B3NM-L.jpg

i-FQfWZC6-X2.jpg

i-5L9frrZ-L.jpg

Playing with some tilt-shift photography...

i-VbhRvvb-L.jpg

i-rMVJbDv-L.jpg

i-3L3XCdL-L.jpg

White House Ruin-
i-3wTCgDK-L.jpg

i-JGd8LSV-L.jpg

i-j6DhHzR-L.jpg

i-DS5XgCc-L.jpg

Be careful driving on the Res, open range!!
i-3ZW62hj-L.jpg

Spider Rock... and the sun is out, but it's snowing.
i-bSdtzm6-L.jpg

i-M592bCm-L.jpg

i-ZphPbdL-L.jpg

Canyon De Chelly was beautiful... really looking forward to going back and exploring more of it.

Greg

Admin
We began the drive North, headed home... but had a little re-routing to do. I've wanted to see the Goosenecks of the San Juan river and Valley of the Gods and we had the time. We stopped by and loved what we saw at both places. I'd like to get back to the Valley of the Gods and the Moki Dougway on the dual sport, as well as camp and hike around the Valley of the Gods... it's an amazingly beautiful place.

i-ck2tFFd-L.jpg

i-ztvFVzB-L.jpg

i-vmvnRfb-L.jpg

Rain in the distance...
i-K3rVbWh-L.jpg

i-TW9kDn3-L.jpg

Accidentally cut the tops of the mesa's off... :rolleyes:
i-H654kDc-X2.jpg

The players... Catherine, cooking dinner in the cabin.
i-wMpJhVN-M.jpg

Me... freezing, wearing shorts while at Canyon De Chellly. ;)
i-PpvFgZW-M.jpg

And a very interesting 'FJ40' we came across outside of Durango, CO.
i-5dFPpRn-L.jpg

i-NW9Bw8s-L.jpg

i-HsVLFR6-L.jpg

i-qz4V43W-L.jpg

And that was our little tour of the Four Corners area! We learned a lot, traveled to new places and saw many incredible things! We ended up over 1,200 miles on the Land Cruiser after the trip was all said & done! :eek:

sixstringsteve

Awesome TR Greg, I had gone too long without reading one of your reports. The photos look great too.

How are you liking the 100 series?

Greg

Admin
Love it!!

- DAA

Thanks for the kind words Dave!

Awesome TR Greg, I had gone too long without reading one of your reports. The photos look great too.

How are you liking the 100 series?

Thanks Steve, it's been awhile since we've made a big, multi-day trip. And thanks for the comment on the photos! I need to learn much more about getting the most out of my camera.

I dig the 100, it's perfect for us. I've had a few similar vehicles, the '03 4Runner and the 80 Series LX450 and I think this 100 is the best of both worlds. It's easily driveable, capable and a good size for a long trip. It even gets respectable mileage, compared to an 80 Series. Sure, it's not as capable as a solid-axle'd 80, but the trade-off is much better highway/freeway driving. It was very comfortable during this big trip, which I loved. Pretty impressive with a vehicle that has over 250k miles!

Very Cool! Chaco and Canyon De Chelly have been on my list for a while now. Maybe this summer.

I'd highly recommend the trip, Curt! Summer would be a bit rough, IMO... it would be pretty warm, too warm for me at least. I think Fall/Winter in Canyon De Chelly would be perfect.

Greg

Admin
Oh, something worth mentioning which I forgot... on our drive over the NM/AZ border, we took Indian Route 13, over Buffalo Pass and down into Lukachukai, AZ. That drive was AMAZING! :freak: The road climbs steeply from the desert valley floor over the mountain 8,000' high. At the top were massive pine trees, Aspens, etc. On the drive back down, heading South/West the switch-backs were one after another, again amazingly steep. As we started coming back into the valley floor, the area the looked just like Zions National Park with beautiful redrock canyons and trees, with a small stream of running snow-melt. It was a breath of fresh air, in the middle of a wicked desert.

[map]36°27'13.7"N 109°09'49.3"W[/map]

Greg

Admin

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
I went with some friends to Mesa Verde during EJS about 10 years ago - best EJS activity ever, after the trails of course. We also saw wild turkeys and bighorn sheep at Mesa Verde. Thanks for the awesome pictures and write-up. I will definitely drag the family down that way again, they will love it.

Greg

Admin
I went with some friends to Mesa Verde during EJS about 10 years ago - best EJS activity ever, after the trails of course. We also saw wild turkeys and bighorn sheep at Mesa Verde. Thanks for the awesome pictures and write-up. I will definitely drag the family down that way again, they will love it.

:cool: It's not too far out of the way, I'm sure the family would love it!

ttora4runner

Looks like a fun time.

When you guys went to Chaco Canyon did you just visit the ruins off the main road or did you do the hike back to the other ruins?

Less people do the long hikes back to the other ones and the back road into Chaco Canyon is a lot more fun than the main road. :)

Greg

Admin
Looks like a fun time.

When you guys went to Chaco Canyon did you just visit the ruins off the main road or did you do the hike back to the other ruins?

Less people do the long hikes back to the other ones and the back road into Chaco Canyon is a lot more fun than the main road. :)

It was so windy we didn't do any of the longer hikes. Had the weather been better, we would have. Between the sun that day and the wind all day & night, I didn't get much sleep in the tent. The next day was rough. :(

We came in from the North (the main entrance) and it was bad enough! :eek: I heard the South road was pretty bad, I wanted to make good time so we stuck with the usual route.