Fred is RED

mesha

By endurance we conquer
They were super easy to install and do a great job. You can't level a load like you can with airbags. Other than that I think they are awesome.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Just beware. Those bumps tear of the metal stud if they are side loaded. I had some just like that (only shorter) on the upper a-arms on my prerunner and they tore after one "spirited driving" event.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I think I want to try that. You could even shave them shorter for the perfect pressure.
There are some shorter applications out there as well. It seems like your generation of truck has the overload a lot closer to the pad than the latest trucks.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I was comparing my overloads with my friend's 2018 Super Duty and they definitely changed the distance between the overload leaf and the contact pads.

I did some experimenting with weights by putting a full tote of water in the bed (2,300 lbs) and pushed it to the front of the bed. This far forward should put a significant amount of weight on the front axle, more weight than a heavy 5th wheel does. The front suspension compressed 3/8" and the rear 3.5" and the overloads are still not touching.

BB80D39D-3F92-45F0-BF1D-9C851D46D0EF.jpegD87BE014-50DE-4DAE-8245-ED233B7465E2.jpeg37A079D3-758D-4883-9CBE-AEB733A4C4A9.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
With that water-filled tote in the bed, I loaded and hooked up my tractor in my dump trailer with a billion other things for a week at our property. I estimate the total weight at 12k for all of the weight excluding the truck. This is the most weight I have pulled with this truck so far and I'm quite happy with the drivetrain. That motor is pretty quiet until you put a load on it. With a load on there she has a really awesome growl. I had no trouble keeping the speed limit and accelerating up grades. I averaged 9 mpg for that 130 mile trip. Plenty of grades involved.

The trailer and water tote combined finally make the overloads do their job, and it rides pretty nice while looking ridiculous. The rear was sagging so bad that I was concerned about losing pressure on the steering axle, but that wasn't the case at all.

Just to remind everyone, I ordered this truck with 3 options that each increases the front spring rate: Snow plow prep, Camper package, and Heavy Service front axle. This was a mistake on my part, as the Camper package would have been sufficient. In comparing my front axle GVWR with other trucks, I have the highest available GVWR springs for a 2022 F-350.

I'm trying to find some Tremor trim springs with the lowest GVWR on the part number to swap out for more realistic weight handling characteristics. The Tremor springs have 2" of lift built in, but softer rates.

For the rear, I'm going to make spacers out of 2" rectangle tube that will bolt in place and hold the overload rubber isolator on the bottom of them.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
With that water-filled tote in the bed, I loaded and hooked up my tractor in my dump trailer with a billion other things for a week at our property. I estimate the total weight at 12k for all of the weight excluding the truck. This is the most weight I have pulled with this truck so far and I'm quite happy with the drivetrain. That motor is pretty quiet until you put a load on it. With a load on there she has a really awesome growl. I had no trouble keeping the speed limit and accelerating up grades. I averaged 9 mpg for that 130 mile trip. Plenty of grades involved.

The trailer and water tote combined finally make the overloads do their job, and it rides pretty nice while looking ridiculous. The rear was sagging so bad that I was concerned about losing pressure on the steering axle, but that wasn't the case at all.

Just to remind everyone, I ordered this truck with 3 options that each increases the front spring rate: Snow plow prep, Camper package, and Heavy Service front axle. This was a mistake on my part, as the Camper package would have been sufficient. In comparing my front axle GVWR with other trucks, I have the highest available GVWR springs for a 2022 F-350.

I'm trying to find some Tremor trim springs with the lowest GVWR on the part number to swap out for more realistic weight handling characteristics. The Tremor springs have 2" of lift built in, but softer rates.

For the rear, I'm going to make spacers out of 2" rectangle tube that will bolt in place and hold the overload rubber isolator on the bottom of them.

@lbryworks at Ford parts and could at least get you a part number

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well Fred turned 1 year old this week and he got an oil change and a 1,000 mile trip, towing to and from Colorado. He also turned 10,000 miles on the way home.

55F73E7A-1C1C-4C7A-96C0-55F004555D28.jpeg

The oil change was pretty simple and uses the same oil filter Ford has used on millions of engines for many years. 8.5 quarts of 10-30 full synthetic went in Fred's gullet.

On the return trip from Durango, Colorado I averaged 11.8 mpg towing my JK on the Jeep Dolly. That's my best towing mileage with this setup. Last trip was similar terrain and more wind, but I kept it under 70 mph this time.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Well Fred turned 1 year old this week and he got an oil change and a 1,000 mile trip, towing to and from Colorado. He also turned 10,000 miles on the way home.

View attachment 151502

The oil change was pretty simple and uses the same oil filter Ford has used on millions of engines for many years. 8.5 quarts of 10-30 full synthetic went in Fred's gullet.

On the return trip from Durango, Colorado I averaged 11.8 mpg towing my JK on the Jeep Dolly. That's my best towing mileage with this setup. Last trip was similar terrain and more wind, but I kept it under 70 mph this time.

I wonder how well a gladiator would tow my moonbuggy on that Jeep dolly.......