Friend had Old Toyota stolen, state wants him to pay a fine to get it back.

Budbeater

Broken Down and Smokin'
About two weeks ago my friend got his toyota truck stolen. It was for sale, stored at his father's business behind a locked fence. As he had not driven it for quite a while it was not registered or insured. Someone broke in. They stole his truck. He immediately reported it as stolen. The police told him that if they recovered the vehicle they would call him immediately so that he wouldn't have to pay tow/impound fees.

Well, he got notice that the thief was caught drunk driving in his vehicle. It was impounded. They didnt call him. Now to get his truck back he had to pay $350 to the state to pay for back registration BEFORE he can have the privilege of paying almost a grand to get his stolen vehicle back...he was trying to sell the truck for $1000.

Who says that being a criminal doesn't pay? He won't have to pay for the problems he caused my friend. Heck, if he hadn't driven drunk he could have driven for months with no issues. We don't need jails anymore. Criminals need to be turned over to the people they victimize... :(

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
When I got my ancient Suburban stolen, I made that same point to the impound yard. They were able to waive quite a few fees for me as I pointed out that I was the victim and felt like I was being victimized again by Salt Lake County. I did have to jump through a few administrative hoops and it took me at least half a day of wandering around various city offices to talk with people. I did have to pay for the tow (can't really help that) and a few fees but I believe it turned out to be less than $200 vs. the $800+ I was originally quoted. That was about 7-8ish years ago and in Salt Lake City vs. Weber County or Ogden (or wherever), so circumstances may be different. You'll definitely need to remain calm as you deal with people face to face and just keep moving up the chain until you get someone that can help you find a compromise that will satisfy both parties.

How can he pay back registration without having the vehicle inspected?

I'm with you on dealing with thieves..... Selfish bastards

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Similar story, except it was registered and my daily driver. I was 19 and in college.
The impound yard nor the state ever called to tell me they had recovered my car and it had sat collecting impound fees for almost a month.

I shouted at the 6'4" 350lb+ impound guy that I didn't make enough after rent, tution and food to pay his fees even in 2 months.
He told me he was surprised I wasn't afraid of him and he asked me to pay him what I had in my wallet ($105) and he'd let me have my car back. (first and last time that will probably ever happen)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Pretty standard unfortunately. All 100% legal and common for theft recoveries. Theoretically he isn't 100% out the cost, he has the right to go after the perp for any and all costs including his time and attorney fees. That said you can't get blood from a rock and it may be a wast of time. For this reason I never leave any vehicle uninsured, at a minimum the insurance would pick up everything but my deductible. I've heard of one too many stories of uninsured or liability only scenarios in which someone gets royally screwed. Having full coverage on an extra vehicle can be just a bucks a month. In my opinion, there is a huge need for reform in the tow/impound industry, ludicrous fees, cash only BS, after hours fees and predatory towing at apartment and condo complexes in which they will tow a running car parked for just seconds. The purposely boot everything, thus locking the vehicle in the 'dangerous' or illegal spot and then tow them back one by one. The second they install the boot you now owe them cash... if they catch you ;) I had a few colorful incidents, one of which involves a pretty epic night with a pair of bolt cutters, walkie-talkie's and some RME'ers. We will let the statute of limitations expire on that one first ;)

Will his fathers business insurance cover the loss?