Front anti wrap bar.

Too Far

parts is parts
While gathering parts for my rear anti wrap bar I bought a couple of upper links for farm implements.
They are about the perfect size to be used as a front anti wrap bar. I was thinking of doing something similar to what toyota did on the solid axle mini trucks, but with the bar in the center of the axle. In theory the upper link would form a parallelogram with the leaf spring stopping or at least slowing down axle wrap. I know many people have done a similar ani wrap bar for the rear axle.
Is any one running some sort of anti wrap bar on the front axle in a leaf spring environment?
Has my idea been tried and verified or is it waisted thought?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Traction bars front and rear are a great idea. Von is running both on his Toyota PU and that thing climbs like the Tires are made of Superglue! I was blown away when I saw his rig go up Rockpile.....Without any rocks stacked at the bottom!

After I finally get the one on the rear of my truck, I'm going to build one on the front!

Heres Vons truck walking up RockPile-

attachment.php

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by demon jeep
Hey I see rocks at the bottom:D

Look a little closer at his line and you can see how he drove around those rocks and didn't even use them!
Just for you! :rolleyes: :p

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
One thing to note, it sounds like you're talking about a single-bar traction bar, that attaches at a single point on the axle, and a single point on the frame. It's been my experience that those types are mostly ineffective, with the exception of the stock Toyota torque rod---it doesn't do much for axle wrap, but does limit the axle roll when braking. (exactly what it's there for)

Von's traction bars (and all others we've built) are a "ladder" design, which uses two mounting points at the axle, and one mounting point at the frame, through a shackle.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by demon jeep
Hey I see rocks at the bottom:D

After I saw your post, I immediately drove to Moab. Next, I went to the "rockpile" removing ALL the rocks, crawled it, then came home to reply. :rolleyes: :D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Vonski

After I saw your post, I immediately drove to Moab. Next, I went to the "rockpile" removing ALL the rocks, crawled it, then came home to reply. :rolleyes: :D

you photoshopin wanker:D

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Yeah, nice photoshop job....not only did he remove the rocks, but he changed wheels and tires, and added rock rash! :p

(it's not photoshop, it's really a different trip)

Too Far

parts is parts
Thanks for the info guys.
does Von run his front track bar pointed to the rear of the truck or is it a short one pointing forward? I ask because with rear mounted shackles you would need quite a bit of travel in the shackle on the track bar. No more than the spring shackles I guess. If it ran out the front it wouldn't need as much travel for and aft, but the drag link and tie rod would all have to share space. I guess you could loose some aproach angle/clearance as well.
The pics are great, lots of good ideas floating out there.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Von's front is pointing toward the rear, and is attached to the tranny crossmember. The shackle it's attached to has a pretty good rearward rake going on, but it doesn't cause any problems.