Fuel Cell Foam - School me!!!!

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I have this fuel cell from Summit. 20 gallon, with sending unit.

The foam is starting to break down. Searching online for fuel cell foam, it seems like this stuff is available in smaller blocks, such as this.

I wanted to do some homework on this before buying the wrong foam. I have not been into the fuel cell yet. A few questions:

- How does the foam chunks go into the cell, without interfering with the float on the sending unit?
- Are all foams created equal, or are there some brands / suppliers out there that make a better foam?

Thanks!

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
It’s an rci tank and came with an unshielded sending unit. I didn’t use it so I really can’t say.

BUT

After a couple years the FOAM float it had on it started to break down. Clogged my whole fuel system so I just yanked it out

RockChucker

I specifically didn't install foam in my fuel cell when I built it because it breaks down. I'm running a CTS-V fuel sending unit that is fed by 4 walbro pickups. One in each corner. I've never had any starvation issues at any fuel level or any angle.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Last two tanks I bought brand new I pulled the foam out before using it... same issue in the past as others. Foam broke down and clogged everything up to the filter.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Here's what the primary filter looks like after last week's trip to Price. This was a brand new filter before the trip.

I have a fuel accumulator so fuel starvation hasn't been a problem. I don't think that with or without foam would change things in my situation.

I think I'll just yank the old junk out, possibly have a bonfire with it, inspect the float, and keep on running with nothing in the cell.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've seen a number of guys fabricate a shield for the float. But I've used wiffle balls in our dune buggy and it works awesome. I soaked one in gas for a week to make sure it wouldn't break down.

neagtea

Supporting Member
Never used balls but some of the prerun guys recommend them I would soak in regular fuel with ethanol due to not being able to get clear everywhere

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
@Gravy has a long history of putting balls in places they were never intended to be put...:eek:

I've also bad bad luck with the fuel cell foam. I removed the foam, cleaned out the system and ran it for years with no baffles, no foam, no wiffles, no issues. But, the wiffle ball/PVC idea sounds like it's worth trying if the fuel slosh causes you problems.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Weld some fittings on the side of the tank for a sight tube thats what we run on our fuel cells. Ive seen how much the plastic tubes or wiffle balls cost and have read about guys cutting up old oil quart bottles and using them instead since they are practically free.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Weld some fittings on the side of the tank for a sight tube thats what we run on our fuel cells. Ive seen how much the plastic tubes or wiffle balls cost and have read about guys cutting up old oil quart bottles and using them instead since they are practically free.

If this were a new cell, I'd love to add a sight tube and forget the sending unit and gauge, but having been filled with fuel I don't want to consider welding on it.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
If this were a new cell, I'd love to add a sight tube and forget the sending unit and gauge, but having been filled with fuel I don't want to consider welding on it.

Fill it with water and weld it out. NBD