Fuel Cell, legal?

kb7sei

I was wondering if anyone was running a fuel cell on a street legal rig here in Utah. Does anyone know if the emissions nazis will throw a fit over it? I know they check the gas cap and the unleaded restrictor. I guess I could mount the filler and cap somewhere on my flatbed project for them. :rolleyes:

I'm in Salt Lake if that matters. I'd preffer to be emissions legal, but if they are stupid about it I'll just "move" I guess. They may not like my engine swap either. :D

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Originally posted by kb7sei
I was wondering if anyone was running a fuel cell on a street legal rig here in Utah. Does anyone know if the emissions nazis will throw a fit over it? I know they check the gas cap and the unleaded restrictor. I guess I could mount the filler and cap somewhere on my flatbed project for them. :rolleyes:

I'm in Salt Lake if that matters. I'd preffer to be emissions legal, but if they are stupid about it I'll just "move" I guess. They may not like my engine swap either. :D

They won't like your engine swap but I dont think they would catch the fuel cell if you throw a blanket over it and leave the original filler and cap in place. They only test the cap and make sure the restricter is still in place. I don't know why they still care about the restricter since you don't see leaded at the filling stations anymore.

harkinoff

something to do...
Originally posted by kb7sei

what engine swap did you do, I did an engine swap in my scout, they liked it!!!:D and for the fuel cell, as long as it is ventilated right, why would they care?

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Originally posted by harkinoff

what engine swap did you do, I did an engine swap in my scout, they liked it!!!:D and for the fuel cell, as long as it is ventilated right, why would they care?

Just be sure to leave your evap canister (charcoal) in place and attempt to make it look like its hooked up. I wouldn't worry about mounting your stock filler neck....unless you fail. Most guys will just waive it if they don't have the equipment to check your application.

kb7sei

Originally posted by Greg
I can't comment on the Fuel Cell, but.... What engine swap did you do and into what?

You've got me curious!

The rig is an 1988 Toyota Pickup. I put a Ford 4.0L and drivetrain from a 95 Explorer in there. The hardest parts are done, it's mostly loose ends now. It's physically installed and the electrical is about 90% done, I just need to wire the power and ground into the harness and I can hotwire the motor to make it start. Well, I suppose I need gas too, but I could plumb to the stock tank in a few minutes if I wanted to. I just don't like where it is and it's shape makes it hard to put it somewhere more usefull. With the bed off, there's no better time to mess with it. I found a nice flat tank in the junkyard, but it's rather rusty and I'd rather use a nice aluminum cell if I can get away with it. Sounds like that won't be a problem from the other responses! I plan to hook up the EVAP system, it's easy and it helps keep the nazis at bay. From what I hear, my swap would be legal in the People's Replublic of Kalifornia, so one would hope it would be ok here, but you never know.

Thanks for the info everyone!

kb7sei

Originally posted by Greg
Wow, thats a diffrent swap!! You'll have to let us know how it works, the 4.0 is mighty strong!

Got any pics?? :)

Yeah, it's not the usual suspect to be sure. I couldn't find a Chev 4.3L I liked for a decent price, but these Ford 4.0L engines seem to grow on trees around here, or lots of Explorer drivers don't know how to drive. :D IMO, it's an eaiser swap than a 4.3 if you're willing to fabricate and can read a wiring diagram. I had to make my own mounts and strip down the stock engine harness. Nothing real difficult, and more than enough power for my little Toy.

I don't have any pics of the engine yet, I'll try to remember to take the digi up there this weekend. The only stuff I have right now is from the SAS. Wagoneer D44 w/driver side drop to match the Ford drivetrain and outboarded springs. All I have left on that is to weld the perches on for the SOA and maybe cut-and-turn the knuckles for caster.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I let an exploder get out of my hands, I really wanted to swap it into my zuk but needed the insurance money instead. keep us up to date, that 4.0 is frickin strong!!

troutbum

cubi-kill
I asked my emmissions guy about the fuel cell before I did it, he said no problem, he did mutter something about being DOT approved but said he would never know??

he is running 40"+ tires though..... :D

kb7sei

Originally posted by troutbum
I asked my emmissions guy about the fuel cell before I did it, he said no problem, he did mutter something about being DOT approved but said he would never know??

he is running 40"+ tires though..... :D

Okay.. where is your emissions guy? I want an inspector with a nice rig! :D