Fuel cell pick up

xjtony

I've finally (knock on wood) got the 318 in my buggy running good but I still need a bit more work to get it right. I've noticed that on steep ledges I run into a fuel starvation issue. I'm running an aluminum cell with a stock Jeep ZJ in tank fuel pump. The pick up/baffle for the pump is centered in the cell so when I'm on a steep incline or decline the pick up sucks air and the engine stumbles. An example is on Wayne's World yesterday. The engine would run fine until I would give it some gas, and then it would stumble. This also happens when the cell is getting low. By the time I was back to the trailer yesterday any incline would cause a stumble. Last year I tried the wiffle ball baffle thing and burned up a fuel pump because they were blocking too much fuel flow.

So now on to my question. What is everyone using for a fuel pickup in their cells? I'm looking at running a few of the Walbro pickups that seal themselves when they suck air. I would probably run 4, one for each corner of the cell, and run an inline fuel pump. Is there any other option out there that may work better? The Walbro ones are a tad pricey, but I know a lot of guys run them.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I have 3 of the Walbro pickups in mine. Been that way for a handful of years at least with no issues. 4 is definitely overkill unless your cell has a GIANT footprint. In my experience the pickups will follow the fuel when it sloshes, hence running 3 in my cell: one in the middle-ish and one on each side.

Holley Hydramat is another option but I'm not sure how much $$$ it is. It would however require less plumbing and less of the expensive submersible hose 🤷‍♂️

xjtony

That is the big issue with mine. The only pickup I have sits directly in the center of the cell so no matter which way the fuel sloshes the pickup sucks air if the cell isn't full. I might see if I can remove the pickup sock from mine and modify it with multiple.

N-Smooth

That is the big issue with mine. The only pickup I have sits directly in the center of the cell so no matter which way the fuel sloshes the pickup sucks air if the cell isn't full. I might see if I can remove the pickup sock from mine and modify it with multiple.
if you can split it two ways I'm sure 2 walbro pickups would work great. once you add enough hose to get them to the sides it really gives them the ability to move with the fuel like I said.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
I put a factory GM style canister pickup in the Willys fuel cell.- I modified the leg lengths and drilled one of the leg holes out- the return line/hold down now feeds through a slightly stiffer spring and into the canister to keep the fuel level up even during off-camber work. The factory canister has a check valve to hold the fuel in and above the pump pickup screen.

Real PITA install. It works, but if you can buy an off-the shelf option I would.

xjtony

So I ordered a RCI 15 gal fuel cell that I am going to run (the old one is 10 gal and id like to have more fuel on board). I want to run an inline fuel pump to simplify things. Needs to be 90PSI and I would like to use an off the shelf unit so replacement is easy. What pump is everybody running? Anything to stay away from?

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
90 PSI seems high but there are pumps out there to do it.

Off the top of my head, it seems like TBI is 16psi, TPI 45-50psi, and Vortec stuff is around 60psi...

I want to say there is an off the shelf Autozone/ORiely's inline Bosch unit that will get up there... Sorry my memory can't remember the part number...

xjtony

@Jinx I got the 90PSI from the factory in tank grand cherokee pump. The regulator is on the fuel rail and meters it down to 45. I figured that trying to match the factory pump would give the best results.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Cool, that makes sense.

I looked up inline fuel pumps at OReily's and there were several options. Not Bosch, but a similar brand.

I run inline pumps on my Chev Tune Port Engine and my wife's Chevy Vortec engine and it works well...

Good Luck!

N-Smooth

I use the e2000. Available at any parts store and plentiful to boot. There are countless aftermarket pumps that would work for you, I'm sure.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Thats what in looking for. Parts store availability!
The E2000 is extremely common. I believe it came stock on early 90's F-250 trucks and many other vehicles. The will probably make you buy the fuel filter with it to get a warranty. Make sure you mount the pump as close to the tank as you can. They like to push fuel, not pull fuel.

N-Smooth

The E2000 is extremely common. I believe it came stock on early 90's F-250 trucks and many other vehicles. The will probably make you buy the fuel filter with it to get a warranty. Make sure you mount the pump as close to the tank as you can. They like to push fuel, not pull fuel.
Close to it and below it.