Fuel Injection

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I really need fuel injection. I run a 67 Chevy small block 350.

Anyone wana give me some advise? It need to bolt onto the engine i now run.
Pro and Cons
TBI,
TPI,
One better than the other, Cost is always an issue.

Thanks

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Shawn said:
I really need fuel injection. I run a 67 Chevy small block 350.

Anyone wana give me some advise? It need to bolt onto the engine i now run.
Pro and Cons
TBI,
TPI,
One better than the other, Cost is always an issue.

Thanks

TBI.........cost, availability...........Not exactly the most powerful, but reliable and easy to fix.

TPI is SWEET and has torque LOW in the powerband. A little more complex and more expensive (unless you come up with a junk motor--only available in Camaro, Firebird, and Corvette) typically. There were two types, Mass-Air and Speed density. The cutoff was '88, I believe and I think Speed Density would be the newer system. The Mass-air is slightly easier to wire, but I don't think it's very significant..........

harkinoff

something to do...
Shawn said:
I'm looking at Propane also,,,, ;)

propane would be the cheapest, easiest, route especially if you came across an old system, I do know where there is one sitting, I'll talk to him on a price for you the next time I see him, his wife is making me a soft top for the scout after christmas...

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
harkinoff said:
propane would be the cheapest, easiest, route especially if you came across an old system, I do know where there is one sitting, I'll talk to him on a price for you the next time I see him, his wife is making me a soft top for the scout after christmas...

That would be great.

I blam you for me wanting propane... :p
Have you tried yours out, vertical that is ;)

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Projection can work well if you do a few tricks and play with it a little. I finally got mine DIALED. I got mine cheap from a friend who was tired of trying to make it work.

BUT, if I had the $$ I would use the Howell TBI. Easy, idiot proof, reliable, and reasonable $$. For bigger motors they use a Holley throttle body too.

Propane is easy and also pretty idiot proof. Not near the electricle stuff.

Word of caution. Most EFI problems stem from wiring a new computer in old wiring. Most old wiring systems are not up to the demands of computers. BOTH power and grounds have to be clean and sound. COMPLETE ground loops will eliminate headaches. Grounding everthing in a loop is redundent, but trust me, it is worth it!!

There is a TON of cool stuff out there, I would love to do a set up with the customizable megasquirt computer. Just depends on how involved you want it to get.

harkinoff

something to do...
Have you tried yours out, vertical that is ;)[/QUOTE]

not yet -_- just got it back together and got new tires and wheels on it, barely got the labels worn off...if I don't go hunting this weekend I will be testing out all the new mods on the scout, if the weather is good...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
IMO the propane is not a good choice for a family wheeler. It is just too much storage for a four seater. I like propane, and in a two seater it would be sweet.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Hickey said:
IMO the propane is not a good choice for a family wheeler. It is just too much storage for a four seater. I like propane, and in a two seater it would be sweet.
That is just it, the set-up is for multi fuel. Run the gas on the trail, flip to propane when you need to climb. Carry like 2-5 gals. Have a cool dude like Super build you a cool tank to mount where ya need it be.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Shawn said:
That is just it, the set-up is for multi fuel. Run the gas on the trail, flip to propane when you need to climb. Carry like 2-5 gals. Have a cool dude like Super build you a cool tank to mount where ya need it be.
And where you gonna get it filled? Most places will want a certification on the tank. I know about the multi setup, it is way cool. but you gotta find a 2 gallon tank.