FWIW 4runner to Xcab swap...what I have found out

Bones

Okay making a long story short, rolled the 4runner in Moab, making it an Xcab :D

Nothing much to show pic wise, but here's the current stutus or brief timeline.

- Cut off all the sheetmetal from the firewall back on the 4runner
- Gutted the dash and marked all the wiring, etc for future re-install
- Found a donor 87~ Xcab for free locally :D missing the front clip, and is/was an automatic
- Removed my front clip to attach to the donor cab.
- Gutted the donor cab (not running any int. panels, carpet, etc.)
- Had to move the 4runner body mount to match up with the Xcab's. I can get the exact dimension tonight if needed. A reg cab would have bolted right up I think.
- Now I'm at the point where I need to get the front clip from the 4runner back on and everyting re-installed and wired up.
- First I plan to move the PS box as far forward as possible, and fix a nagging oil leak.
- Also found out that the frames differ in the mid-section and I will have to notch the body to fit on the frame. The 4runner frame rises at the rear body mount where the PU it does not. A 1-1.5" body lift would solve tis as well, just not what I want.

Then it's just a matter of getting my rear end rebuilt (fried R&P) and build a flatbed (or find a donor from a 3rd gen and make it look PIMP) and I'm set.

I'll get more done this weekend. These are old, but will have to work. My server is acting REAL slow, so be patient. ;) More pics/progress this weekend. All that has been done is slider removal, frame cleanup, bodymount removal, tank removed, etc.

Donor Cab
donor-cab.jpg

Bare 4runner with just the front clip
front-clip.jpg

Cab on rear of frame getting prepped/gutted
Cab-gutted.jpg

Last edited:

Bones

That it is. More time consuming hard work that actual labor though. Moving the body mounts is the hardest part. The rest is plug and play, while finding other problems and fixing those

I really wanted to do the buggy concept, but it's not in the cards quite yet since I don't have a tow rig, and the weather here changes on a dime. I hope that's the least of my worries in the next year though :D