Gaia's new Overland map layer

lhracing

Has anyone spent any time looking at the new Gaia map layer, Gaia Overland? It is said to combine the Gaia topo map with MVUM, USFS and public lands on a single layer.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Is there a way to identify the map dates on Gaia? I’d like to know the satellite image date for a specific area. There is a big change in what I can see on Gaia vs Google, and I’d like to know a time frame. Gaia is the only map system I’ve used not showing the change.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Yea I don't get it. How has their service improved in any way to promote that cost jump?
It hasn't. This is Outside, milking the cow. If they can't make money monetizing your data, they'll get it straight from your pocket.

May I take this opportunity to preach the gospel of our lord and savior Caltopo? It's a web and Android app, it's free unless you want to pay for some of the extra features, it has OSM and can build routes, you can download map areas for offline use and has some live navigation features. It's not quite as polished as apps like Gaia or OnX, but it's built by a user for users and it shows. I still export to Backcountry Navigator for actual nav, when I bother, but for route planning and general web wheeling it's right on time. Between BCN and Caltopo I don't use anything else.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
OnX has the potential to be a great product. But it has so much fail in the interface its getting deleted as soon as my discounted sub expires

I paid a one time sub for Hema years ago. Its pretty good, trying to download sections and route planning leave a lot to be desired. Often think I download a map section before I leave only to find it only downloaded at like 3 pixles. But for the $40ish I paid for it 6-7 years ago. Its great for a reference.