Activity Gambler 500 September 21-22

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Yup, it certainly seems to meet that definition

I don't want to see it shut down, I enjoy the events, and when done properly they can do a lot to pick up trash and promote use of our public lands. I would like to see some personal accountability

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yup, it certainly seems to meet that definition

I don't want to see it shut down, I enjoy the events, and when done properly they can do a lot to pick up trash and promote use of our public lands. I would like to see some personal accountability

I'm totally with you. They should permit it and make it bigger/better towards public lands.

J-mobzz

I'm totally with you. They should permit it and make it bigger/better towards public lands.

You know how difficult to pull a permit for an off-road race in Utah. It’s it’s not contained in a recreation area basically forget about it. The want want impact studies and all sorts of stuff. I worked with the blm several times trying to make BOR races in the past and yeah It wasn’t even close to being economically feasible unless it’s the knolls or little Sahara.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Thinking about the definition Curt put up, it seems like it would get a pass because there is no competition. It's not a race, it's a navigational challenge.

Otherwise, our monthly RME trip would need a permit, heck anytime two people agreed to go wheeling together in a specific spot you would need a permit.

Coco

Thinking about the definition Curt put up, it seems like it would get a pass because there is no competition. It's not a race, it's a navigational challenge.

Otherwise, our monthly RME trip would need a permit, heck anytime two people agreed to go wheeling together in a specific spot you would need a permit.

This is kind of my thoughts as well. Anytime two or more people/vehicles would want to recreate on public lands, on X date would need a permit to do so. That is how I would take it from that description of the BLM screenshot. So, like Noahfecks said, RME runs, a group of friends wheeling, a group of SXS's, dirtbikes, 4-wheelers, enter said vehicle here, would all need permits to recreate on public lands. I mean, that's how I am interrupting it? At that point, is it even worth 'enjoying public lands'?

Just my observation, not an argument.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
You know how difficult to pull a permit for an off-road race in Utah. It’s it’s not contained in a recreation area basically forget about it. The want want impact studies and all sorts of stuff. I worked with the blm several times trying to make BOR races in the past and yeah It wasn’t even close to being economically feasible unless it’s the knolls or little Sahara.

Yes. I've been involved in dozens of BLM SRP permits here in Utah for paid recreational, commercial and military events/customers. It's not always easy, it's not always practical but if it's required you simply dont have a choice.

Last edited:

Caleb

This is kind of my thoughts as well. Anytime two or more people/vehicles would want to recreate on public lands, on X date would need a permit to do so. That is how I would take it from that description of the BLM screenshot. So, like Noahfecks said, RME runs, a group of friends wheeling, a group of SXS's, dirtbikes, 4-wheelers, enter said vehicle here, would all need permits to recreate on public lands. I mean, that's how I am interrupting it? At that point, is it even worth 'enjoying public lands'?

Just my observation, not an argument.
Not quite. If you read it again, it says two or more contestants compete that meet either or both of those requirements. Meeting up for a trail run, a camping trip, etc doesn't make you a contestant and I'm quite certain you're not competing for anything on a friendly trail run. I'm sure there are other rules for permits on BLM lands for large groups that are different than these competitive use permits that have a requirement after a certain size of group and other criteria. I'm sure some of the RME runs that end up with a large turn-out may be teetering on that line.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Thinking about the definition Curt put up, it seems like it would get a pass because there is no competition. It's not a race, it's a navigational challenge.!

Competition is vague... but if they are giving it awards at the end. Your competing ;) All besides the point, it's "organized", "advertised" and of a size that could/would trigger a permit under their

And the BLM is clear even club group rides may need a permit where as commerical organized and or competitive events do need a permit. The BLM has historically been very amicable to 4x4 clubs doing club rides or low impact activities. We (ExpeditionUtah) have engaged with them on many of our events, I know BOAR does as well. High use areas are going to see more regulation. Moab for example is cake to get an SRP or Film Permit as they do it all day long, subsequently they are also the most proactive about requiring organized or commerical groups have them. For example for a recent project I did for Toyota USA in Moab, we had to hire a BLM monitor to ride along with 8 vehicles on Hells Revenge, have insurance, safety plans, etc as part of our permit. However a group of 20 pals could go run the trail any day of the week without the BLM wanting a permit (a good thing)

Screenshot_20190927-100142_Drive.jpg

I've been involved in many route plans and permit applications for recreational and commercial projects. I'd be more than happy to sit down with the Gambler admin folks if they are interested in getting a permit for future events. If anyone can make the connection and wants to, I'm down to discuss.