Gambling for St Jude's

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Come this Sept 22nd/23rd I will be embarking on an automotive adventure, the Gambler 500 across the state of UT. The idea is you use a vehicle costing less than $500 to navigate to a series of 16 checkpoints across 500 miles in 2 days. https://www.utahgambler500.com/

So as I was lying in bed last night not able to fall asleep I had a brilliant idea, what if this manchild adventure I am planning to undertake could in some way benefit society? In the spirit of Jake and Elwood Blues I am on a mission from God to save the kids.

I am proposing a pledge drive, for every checkpoint along the way that I make it I am asking people to pledge an amount to donate to St Jude's hospital for kids. There are 16 checkpoints along the whole course so if you pledged $5 a checkpoint you would donate $80 assuming I complete the course. It doesn't have to be $5, anything would be great, I am setting a fundraising goal of $10,000. If you don't know about St Jude's it is a childrens research hospital that takes on the toughest cases at no cost to the families, honestly an amazing charity; https://www.stjude.org/

I am not asking anyone to send me money and I am not going to come around to your house after the rally to collect checks, just asking you to donate directly to St Jude's based on the pledge you make and how many checkpoints we successfully complete.

Here is our little gem of a gambler, yes it is recycled from someone who ran the gambler 500 in OR earlier this year, yes it is every bit as craptastic as it looks, yes I have my doubts that it will make the first checkpoint let alone all 16. I guess in a way you will be gambling too, gambling how much you will end up donating to St Jude's.

Day 1 $350
20180808_175820.jpg20180808_175808.jpg20180808_175749.jpg20180808_175759.jpg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I’m in for $15 per checkpoint! $5 for St Judes, $10 for Huntsman Cancer. I’m pretty partial to Huntsman Cancer but St Jude’s is pretty tough to beat. Get them all and we’ll make it an even $100 for St Jude’s and $200 for HCF.

Last edited:

ID Bronco

St. Judes is really awesome! Good for you for making this fun and important. Post up how many checkpoints you make..........I'll kick something to them.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
So Phil and I got in our first workday yesterday, here's the progress.

So the green paint I bought at Ace hardware turned out to be just a bit more minty than I expected, oh well the forest service will love it.
0822182132.jpg

Rear lift going in, no idea what these coils came out of, super rednecky engineering, new KYB shocks on the rear one of the most expensive and only new parts going on.
20180825_134218.jpg
20180825_134226.jpg

Picked up some junkyard 15" wheels and tires, just a little bit bigger than stock, 27.5"
0824181757.jpg
20180825_152717.jpg

Last edited:

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Dig that raked look
20180825_134927.jpg

Front suspension mock up at ride height, we couldn't finish because we need to have some plate cut for the upper strut spacers but this is pretty close
20180825_191433.jpg

Paint job almost finished, the black really mellowed out the green, and a hood scoop just because. Need to make a camber adjustment once the struts are in permanent.
20180825_203114.jpg

Items still on the punch list:
Fixed rusted/cobbled together with dirtbike pipe exhaust
Make sure radio functions well enough to drown out the rattling
Front push/light bar
Fuel and air filter
Check all fluids
finish customizing and "body work"

Last edited:

Coco

Haha, mine is still in the same condition it was in. It's registered and is insured so it is good to go. I balanced the front tires, they were way out of balance, and I tightened up all the steering parts, and greased them up.

It does need something that is more gambler though.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
So we had another work day Saturday. Unfortunately all the fun big transformation stuff you can see is mostly done, this weekend was about actually making it run.

We corrected some post manufacturer wiring hoping to prevent a fire, also wired up some "accessories" and the radio. After replacing the dry rotted front brake lines we bled the lines, actually ended up with pretty good brakes. Vacuumed about 10 pounds of dust out and cleared out unnecessary interior items like back seat and carpets.

We still have some clearance issues with the steering to sort out. Camber is less than ideal but it will work for our purposes.

Obligatory push/light bar
20180901_153414.jpg

Exhaust fixed
852-MMS-1535937571534-attachment1-0902181651.jpg

Hopefully you can see our sweet rally style spare tire mounts
854-MMS-1535937571534-attachment1-0902181651b.jpg

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Tried to clean the windows and checked to make sure wipers and squirters work.

Need to log some more shakedown miles and make sure the bugs are worked out but I think she's trail rated, ur ready