• Side-Jobs Forum Rules:
    • No requests related to 4x4, offroad, or any services already provided by vendors who support RME and make this site possible. If you are seeking these types of services, please post in a General 4x4 or another approriate forum.
    • No requests related to morally questionable or illegal activities
    • Any requests here may be removed at any time at the discretion of the moderators

Garage Door Project

Pike2350

I ended up using the contractors bobcat and dug the driveway myself to get it done right and done quicker. I got that done almost 2 weeks ago.
The contractor put road base down Yesterday.
Tonight I went out and dug down about 5 spots that were way higher than the others so I don't end up with 1" of concrete :rolleyes:

I am going to be diligent about keeping it wet for a week or so after it gets poured (in two days says the guy.. we'll see says I) Is there any reason I can't be using my secondary water to wet it? I imagine that will be a lot of water over the week.. and I've read it's even better to have warmer water if possible.. and the secondary is warmer than culinary by a bit. I can even flip a couple sprinklers around to have it be automated...
Man, it's like we have/had the same concrete company.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Man, it's like we have/had the same concrete company.

I has some sand dune safety flags marking the end of the driveway to help prevent us from dropping a car tire off the 12" edge while we waited for gravel. The morons didn't pull them out, or be nice to them. Ran them over with the bobcat, broke and ripped them. Left them in the driveway.

I ran conduit along the front of the garage door for a chase way for future water. it goes along the bottom of the foundation, and then straigh up along the wall, and will be hidden by flower pots in the future. They knocked it over so it came out of the ground at a 45* angle instead of straight up, and then packed the gravel all around it. Who would even think that was an acceptable way to have the conduit looking??

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Sadly there is such a high demand right now that they really don’t worry about doing a quality job. I think a lot of companies just take your money and are fine with not coming back to do more work for you or having you refer other jobs.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Ah, surface cure. Sorry I thought you were meaning a curing accelerator, like calcium, that actually does make sense to do then. Surface cure would be sprayed on after the concrete is screeded and mag’ed out, it is just meant to slow down the surface from curing too fast. Also helps with reducing the small porosity that can occur in the surface if sprayed on while the mix is still wet. Calcium would be an agent that is mixed into the mix uniformly.

As far as the watering a slab vs non watering, I’ll just state that we have never watered a slab that we have ever poured in my time of work, and have never received any negative feedback on such.

I guess where I could see watering being desirable would be on a very thick slab (like 12” plus) that would be out in the summer sunlight. In that situation you would have a difference in temperature and moisture within the thickness of the slab. As far as thinner slabs go, (8” or less) I personally don’t think it would make a noticeable difference. I’m definitely no concrete scientist though. If it gives the warm fuzzies for feeling like you may regret it if you don’t wet it, then by all means, do.
Ah! Today I learned. Good info!

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I think in any industry sometimes people take shortcuts and “bandaids” where needed and probably more-so in budget-friendly service providers.

THIS for sure. I got rebar on 30" centers, not the 12" I think should be. I got 3-4" of concrete, not a solid 4 everywhere. I am paying less than 1/2 of my first bid. But then I also wonder if the other guy would have cut the same corners and just charged double

For future projects, I will do all the prep, and just hire finishers.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’ve seen some stuff in the industry where I’ve thought “man, good thing the homeowner isn’t watching this”

Sometimes cringey things happen by accident. Sometimes people do cringey things on purpose.

I think in any industry sometimes people take shortcuts and “bandaids” where needed and probably more-so in budget-friendly service providers. (I would think that the higher the cost; the less “bandaids” are given in a service or product.)

If I was working with someone on my house that has a track record of visible shortcuts out of laziness or lack of giving a damn, I too would become a self-appointed project supervisor.
I make myself cringe to use a term that is tossed around way too much at my job. Culture.

These type of job site problems are culture-based (not anything to do with race). When you have an industry culture that is often riddled with lazy or just plain shitty workers who let shit slide, these are the results you will get.

When an employer chooses to push a positive culture onto their workforce, they can make great strides against poor quality. Talk is cheap, and creating a positive culture of a workforce that does take pride in their work will cost more money.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
7F3869FA-37CD-4E5D-8FD9-2B037480FED1.jpeg

They are done and gone. I’d give them a B+ on quality of work. Good enough that I can’t complain, but enough small things that I will always notice 🤦🏼‍♂️
But in reality, I got what I needed and will be happy.
It’s like any project.. you get to nitpick it because it’s new. If I compare it to the driveway that already exists, it’s like 100x’s better.

Pike2350

looks good overall. I hate contractors, but like @STAG learned, working for yourself you make less and work longer/harder. Honestly, that is one of the reasons I haven't tried the handyman gig. I enjoy the work, but I know I couldn't let things be done without them being "perfect" that will cost me time, money or both....and getting clients that will pay for that level of perfection is hard....most want it cheap, but then complain it isn't perfect.

the old saying Cheap, Fast, or Quality. Pick 2.

Or a sticker the owner of my company has on his laptop "Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap & Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled"