• Side-Jobs Forum Rules:
    • No requests related to 4x4, offroad, or any services already provided by vendors who support RME and make this site possible. If you are seeking these types of services, please post in a General 4x4 or another approriate forum.
    • No requests related to morally questionable or illegal activities
    • Any requests here may be removed at any time at the discretion of the moderators

Garage Door Project

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We are going to move our garage door from a side load to a front load (so we can come in straight from the street instead of doing a 90 degree turn each time) I thought I would be a good citizen and get a permit for it. Turns out the city want 2 different permits, one to add concrete to the driveway, and one to change the house. Currently I am $400 in to even trying to ask permission and have been told I can't ask permission unless I get engineered plans for the garage door. FML.
I don't have a clue where to go for finding an engineer, and what I should expect to pay for such a thing.

Anyone have pointers or directions for me?

Also, I won't be pulling permits in the future for anything.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Even better, because insurance will pay for the repair instead of me!

We just need to delete these posts before I submit my claim...
I feel your pain, I went through this with PG city to build my garage, which was started in 2008 and the permit is still open. One of my life goals is to die with the permit open so my kids have to deal with it to sell my house. :rofl: They last inspected it in 2013. They made me sign a form stating I could not run a business out of the shop because I was the general contractor. They also made me obtain a variance in order to not put sidewalk in AND required me to sign a form stating that if the city ever requires my neighbors to install sidewalk that I would do the same. Clown world.

I had plans drawn up by an engineering firm in AF. They charged me $800 in 2008 and $50 per copy for the 4 copies the city required. I submitted hand drawn to scale, front top and side elevations and they drew material requirements and printed electronic copies signed.

I'll look up the company's name on my plans when I get home.

You might do what I did with better results.
I asked PG if the city engineer could review my hand drawn plans and approve them. They said he couldn't because it had to be designed to code and signed off by a licensed civil engineer. They got angry when I asked if the city engineer was a licensed civil engineer who enforced code. Maybe try not yelling the question at them🤷‍♂️

GER4x4

We are going to move our garage door from a side load to a front load (so we can come in straight from the street instead of doing a 90 degree turn each time) I thought I would be a good citizen and get a permit for it. Turns out the city want 2 different permits, one to add concrete to the driveway, and one to change the house. Currently I am $400 in to even trying to ask permission and have been told I can't ask permission unless I get engineered plans for the garage door. FML.
I don't have a clue where to go for finding an engineer, and what I should expect to pay for such a thing.

Anyone have pointers or directions for me?

Also, I won't be pulling permits in the future for anything.
I'm a register engineer in Utah and do structural design work . If you can provide some photos of your garage and a sketch or description of what you're wanting to do I should be able to provide what you need for your permit.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I'm a register engineer in Utah and do structural design work . If you can provide some photos of your garage and a sketch or description of what you're wanting to do I should be able to provide what you need for your permit.

That would be sweet.
The wife and I stopped by and engineering firm on our way to lunch today, and they told me they think the city will accept a hand drawn paper with good detail. They found it unusually to call for actual engineering over something this small.
I am going to call the city and see what they actually require.
I’ll keep you posted.

GER4x4

That would be sweet.
The wife and I stopped by and engineering firm on our way to lunch today, and they told me they think the city will accept a hand drawn paper with good detail. They found it unusually to call for actual engineering over something this small.
I am going to call the city and see what they actually require.
I’ll keep you posted.
Feel free to contact me. gerengr@gmail.com or 435-260-1789

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
If it’s anything like my interactions with the city, expect completely different answers from different people lol

Being in a new construction neighborhood has given me the opportunity to hear lots of ridiculous stories about permits and whatnot from neighbors.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
If it were me... The city would drive by one day and never know the difference :D

If I could be that fast that’s what I would have done. But I knew it was gonna look awkward for quite a while and that I would get caught.

Hindsight though, I wouldn’t have asked.

However, I have also seen homes, like in Provo, Where they didn’t pull permits to get work done and the city forced the homeowners to remove the work and redo it with inspections. It was pretty common with Basement finishing 10 or 15 years ago.

Houndoc

Cities indeed can force unpermitted work to be undone.
Process may be a pain, but seems better to follow the rules from the start.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I think I am going for a long panel stamped door with windows on the top.

1650985258242.png

Do we have an RME garage door installing that I should be sending money towards?