Gear / Accessories Garmin's new Overlander GPS

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Believe it or not, we’re not the only ones leaving the US these days. Try it sometime, you might want a GoPro and drone too ;)

They will sell... without GoPro or drone integration.
I have no doubt that it will sell, it's just not what I'm looking for from Garmin. I wasn't joking about the gopro and drone connectivity. That could be quite useful to me.

As far as leaving the US, I have in the past and I intend to again. I do not intend to have any vehicle based adventures outside of the US and Mexico, though. I'm just not that interested in that.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'd take it over my current tablet setup. In a heartbeat. For even twice the cost as my current tablet setup. But, it's three times the cost.

For my purposes, the screen size and resolution are all it offers over Garmin's existing low end line up (up to the Montana line). None of that existing low end line up appeals to me at all for vehicle use - which is why I'm using a tablet. Garmin's chart plotters do appeal to me, very much, but they start at a thousand dollars. And they have abandoned buttons even on them too - a couple years ago their stuff for boats and airplanes did still have buttons. But, touch is actually cheaper to make these days, so, can't stop progress...

Like you say Kurt, different strokes, and to each his own. I've no doubt some of these features actually do have some use for some people - like you - and they will buy it. Even more people who only think they will use those features but never actually will, will buy it. But I don't get out that far like you do :D. I just explore relatively close to home. If I ever don't want people able to track my APRS, in the words of Mike Tyson, I'll just change the station. And actually, I often do :D.

I'm just clearly NOT the target market for this. None of the bells and whistles have any practical application for me. I simply wouldn't ever use them. As someone who actually does use nav off road quite a bit, and a Garmin fan, it's disappointing. But, oh well. Garmin isn't the only one that doesn't get it. Nobody else has yet either. It's just, Garmin does have by far the best cartography. And a GOOD dedicated GPS kicks the crap out of a tablet. I really would much prefer this new unit over using a tablet, simply for the cartography and adequate screen, but, at seven bills, I can't say I'm enthusiastic or have any plans for it.

But, again, I do think it would be quite superior to my current tablet solution. So, when the tablet croaks, which it will, we'll see. But if they had left out all the stuff I'll never have any possible use for and put it out there at $500, it would be a pretty easy choice. At $700, with that extra two bills going for stuff I'll never, ever, have any use for, at all, ehh... We'll see, it does have a nice form factor and a right-size screen with acceptable resolution (albeit a significant downgrade in that category compared to the tablet - about the only area the tablet is better) :D.

- DAA
You said it much better than I did. I completely agree with everything you said.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I think it's cool, and as an Inreach user I think the 2 way comm between them is very appealing (this has come in handy before, but I haven't spent enough time fussing with it to feel 100% confident in it's functionality). I like the size and mag mount too. The turn by turn doesn't much appeal to me as I think google does a better job than anyone with directions so I prefer to use that. Being that the only functionality that I care about is the Inreach stuff, and the fact that, for me, I don't find the map software to be an improvement over what I currently am comfortable using, I likely won't get one at the $700 price point. But it's cool progression in an industry that needs more recreation level options.

I actually think the price is right for the market they are trying to cater to. People that need to be spoon fed campsites (not that I can't see situations where this would be handy...I've spent plenty of time trying to find camps in an unknown area in the dark) and identify with the word "overlander" are typically not as price sensitive to gear that they think they need. That's not meant as a cheap shot, but realistic observation. They are willing to spend to have the best if they feel it will make their experience better (or, again just being honest, get them some additional street cred within the community). I think Kurt is right on about not undershooting a product that is targeted to a less price sensitive "gear centric" group that obviously has no problem spending the money. If it doesn't hit, then they can trickle down some of the features until they find the sweet spot, or maybe even work up on it and add features to appeal to more of the people that might exist in that realm below race units but above the common trail solutions.

DAA

Pretty much my take too. Wasn't intended to be marketed to people like me. Which is a disappointment, but since I wasn't actually expecting anything anyway - hadn't even heard about this until yesterday - not a big disappointment.

- DAA

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I think that the products and features I desire from Garmin are nearly attainable with most of their automobile based devices. The Montana and Oregon aren't what I want because the screens are too small. I just want the ability to load and run either 24k or 100k maps and see ALL of their detail, I want routable roads and even trails of two track or larger, and the ability to upload gpx files. The Inreach could be useful, but that's really all that's lacking from my current device.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I just want the Benchmark topo maps on a digital device that I can overlay .gpx files on and track waypoints. Backcountry Nav and some of the similar programs do this with their map content, but I really like the benchmark maps. If this Garmin had the benchmark maps, that would move the needle for me. I know they exist on HEMA if you know the magic password, so I'm hoping that they get released to the public at some point in the future. I wonder how many people are out there like me that would jump to their platform solely for the benchmark content?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I just want the Benchmark topo maps on a digital device that I can overlay .gpx files on and track waypoints. Backcountry Nav and some of the similar programs do this with their map content, but I really like the benchmark maps. If this Garmin had the benchmark maps, that would move the needle for me. I know they exist on HEMA if you know the magic password, so I'm hoping that they get released to the public at some point in the future. I wonder how many people are out there like me that would jump to their platform solely for the benchmark content?

Walking from Benchmark might be a tough thing to do and I'm going to see about getting said map layers on my Overlander too. At the end of the day map layers are map layers, they just need be geo synchronized with the platform. I worked with a private contractor that assembles maps for private users and 3 digit government agencies for a about anywhere in the world and he works with Garmin so I'm optimistic it can be done. We had topo of much of SoAm, Greenland, Australia has amazing coverage by HEMA but they has some neat historic topo maps there too. I heart Benchmark but loathe the idea of continuing with 2-3 devices where the Overlander could be the single dedicated solution.

Anyone need an iPad with Benchmark and a near new Montana with OSM for most of North and South America and the bottom half of Africa? :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I’d prefer sell the Montana first as it gets fully replaced. I’m into it with accessories around $650-700. Guessing resale value will be half that? It’s got a fairly big SD card, charging suction mount w/speaker, external antenna, screen protector, spare battery, original manual and box, etc. If anyone is hunting a ‘get er done’ GPS, PM me.

tv_larsen

I've never owned a GPS other than my smart phone.

It would be nice to have a vehicle mounted GPS to assist with getting to trail heads and following the trail within the western US.

I have been looking at the Magellan eXplorist TRX7 (even though I find their smart phone app the opposite of intuitive).

This new Garmin Overlander looks interesting. It certainly has features I don't care about, but would this be better than the Magellan?

Caleb

I've never owned a GPS other than my smart phone.

It would be nice to have a vehicle mounted GPS to assist with getting to trail heads and following the trail within the western US.

I have been looking at the Magellan eXplorist TRX7 (even though I find their smart phone app the opposite of intuitive).

This new Garmin Overlander looks interesting. It certainly has features I don't care about, but would this be better than the Magellan?

For stand-alone units, IMO, Garmin > Magellan in all scenarios. The only one I think that competes with Garmin in specific scenarios is Lowrance.

Seems no one has got this yet, guess I’ll be the guinea pig :D