Gas fireplace fans?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Anybody have a fan on their gas fireplace? My builder was cheap (like every builder, perhaps) and didn’t install a unit with one. I’m thinking about it because I run the fireplace pretty often since it heats up the space we’re actually in and not the whole house. The furnace thermostat is 60-64 all winter cause we like it cold.

Anyways, for those that do:
Like it? Hate it? Don’t use it?

Sorry the pic is off-center. I had to go around one of my wife’s many, many plants 🤣
7A059490-4B43-4EBC-A70C-E647C8A4DD1F.jpeg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have a vent-free gas fireplace with no fan--it heats the room (and whole house to some degree) quite well, but the wall above it does get pretty dang hot. This thread is interesting to me. Might need to add a fan.

cjncustoms

Have you taken off the shroud to make sure it doesn’t have a fan? Switch just may be turned off. Ours is adjustable with an off on switch controlled with a thermostat.

N-Smooth

This. Without the fan the heat gets wasted up into the wall or out the vent to outdoors. With the fan, mine will heat my basement quite well.
So it actually raises the temperature by a good 3-5 degrees pretty easily. Granted the thermostat is 20’ away so it’s not far but still.
Have you taken off the shroud to make sure it doesn’t have a fan? Switch just may be turned off. Ours is adjustable with an off on switch controlled with a thermostat.
Yeah I dropped the panel and no fan back there. I watched an installation video but it’s on an empty unit and mine obviously has the gas shutoff, pilot switch etc right in the middle now.

I just wanted to see what people thought of them

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
That surprises me that there is not a fan tucked in there. Either way, yes, jam a fan in there and enjoy nice even heat.

They are usually controlled by their own internal t-stat that allows the fireplace to pre-heat before it runs and then runs after the flame goes out to use all the heat.

N-Smooth

That surprises me that there is not a fan tucked in there. Either way, yes, jam a fan in there and enjoy nice even heat.

They are usually controlled by their own internal t-stat that allows the fireplace to pre-heat before it runs and then runs after the flame goes out to use all the heat.
If you knew my builder you wouldn’t be surprised.

My neighbor’s house came with one that has a fan but he has a different home model that’s slightly larger. His house was also built several months before mine so maybe it was a supply issue…? Either way, it’s not there.

N-Smooth

You guys talked me into it. The crazy thing on these fans is there are chinesium ones ranging from $20 to $80 on Amazon. I bought a kit from what appears to be a reputable site for $138. I’d rather not put one in just to tear it out in a month cause it sucks. I guess we’ll see what happens!

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I don’t feel I work for a super cheap builder but we do not include a blower on our gas fireplaces. My boss doesn’t feel they are worth the added cost. Even on his personal home we finished this year he did not install blowers with either of his fireplaces.

Out of 100 plus homes I’ve done I’ve had 2 people that wanted them installed before moving in. I do like the thermostat control for sure

I haven’t spent enough time around them to know if it is worthwhile or not.

I’ll be watching for your opinion when you get it installed!

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Mine is on a thermostat. It comes on and I can really tell the difference when it's on.

My fireplace upstairs doesn't have a fan and the area right around the fireplace gets really warm. Downstairs with the fan it'll circulate air really well because it pulls cold air from under the firebox and blows warm air out above it. I dig it.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Watching - had this discussion last week with the wife. Our fireplace looks very similar; looks tight to put in a fan

jems07

Mine has a fan. It’s about a 36-38k btu fireplace. It also has what they call passive heat management system which ducts heat up and out side vents without using the blower. This keeps the mantle cooler. We’ve been using ours with the blower on low to medium a lot so far and it heats our whole living room and kitchen up. Definitely makes a difference having a fan.

N-Smooth

Yeah I had it on for a few hours yesterday and it warmed the house up from 64 to 68. I turned it off and within three hours it was back down to 65. I’m sure the fan will make it even better which is exciting.

rholbrook

My vote is for the fan. I didnt have a fan in my upstairs and then added one and loved it. The one I put in my basement I ordered with a fan and put a thermostat on it and set it at 62 degrees. Works great.

N-Smooth

Yup I used it all day yesterday and it was nice. It’s just enough to keep the furnace from running which is exactly what I wanted!