Gas tank return

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I have noticed that many gas tank sending units have the return line coming out very close to the fuel pump pick up and was curious why. It seems to me that picking up the returned gas would tend to make the pump run hotter. Why not return it away from the pump and let it mix with cooler gas before going to the pump ? Or is it an attempt to keep gas near the pump when cornering and running low on fuel ?

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Not sure, but I have had a piniched return line that hydrolocked the injectors and caused a pretty good non-specific engine issue. (would start just fine, run great then randomly turn off when the pressure got too high...)

I have always felt it was the fuel around the in tank pump that kept the pump cool, not necessarily the fuel running through it.

For what it is worth, for the TPI 350 in my Scrambler and the Vortec 350 in my wifes buggy both use external pumps mounted below the fuel line.

Good luck!

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Every single drop of fuel that goes in your engine is at engine coolant temperature.
I put my return line dumping directly on the pick-up strainer so my engine won't die as easily when my Jeep isn't level with low fuel in the tank.
Most vehicles have a small "bucket" around the pump that should fill up first and spill over into the main tank.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I figured that they do it to keep the pump supplied when the tank is low like Mike says. The custom tank I have drops it into the "bucket" around the pump but does it from above so maybe I need to get it to deliver it next to the pick up instead.