General Tech Gear pattern check

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm swapping my locker and gears over to my front narrowed Dana 60, everything is in and looking pretty good.

I could use a second (third or fourth) opinion on my gear pattern...
20230506_181514.jpg
20230506_181534.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I always have a hard time seeing the pattern from pictures. 😣

Yeah, the pattern is visible but not totally clear. It looks pretty good to me in person.

Me too....but it looks good from here. How much backlash? Preload set?

Backlash is .007, spec is .006" to .010".

Preload is 25 in/lbs, spec is 17 to 30 in/lbs.

They're used gears, so I'm thinking a little tighter within the specs is better?

I'll try get another pattern that reads better.

RockChucker

The pattern looks ok to me but agree it is hard to see. I learned a trick from a guy that’s set up 1000s of gear sets to put drag on the pinion and use a box end wrench on one of the ring gear bolts to rotate the gear to create the pattern. It produces much crispier patterns in my experience. But maybe that’s what you did and pics just stink.

Even on used gears I try and shoot for the middle of the spec unless I know what they were set to and I do my best to match that. I don’t subscribe to the common method of setting the gears up tighter than spec. I think that logic is to remove backlash so the gears are less likely to break teeth…but you do that and you are removing the space the oil needs to get in between the gears. Just my $.02.