Gear Review- EdgeStar Freezer/Refrigerator

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yep, bringing up the dead here. lol I just bought a used edgestar fp430 and wondered how long should it take to get to 39* say ambient temp of 90* yeah it's hot here Arizona low desert. I also see that someone added a bullet piercing valve on it to add refrigerant. I put a gauge on it and it was about 1 psi low side so if anyone has any info on any of this stuff would be appreciated.

I would think that if your vehicle is running and you're charging at over 13.5 volts, then it shouldn't take more than an hour to get down to your set temperature. You could also try putting it on fast freeze (FF) to lower the temperature quicker, but make sure you're not freezing your food inside the fridge when it gets to that point.

Greg

Admin
Well, after almost 10 years the Edgestar may be giving up on me. :( When I plug it to the Jeeps 12v power (with the Jeep running or not), the temperature isn't dropping. If I plug it into 110v, then the temp drops just fine and the fridge operates like normal. I've truly gotten my moneys worth out of the Edgestar, it's seen use often and has been thru a lot since I've owned it. It owes me nothing.

While it's been a good fridge, I may be stepping up to either an ARB or Dometic... we will see. I wasn't planning to buy a new fridge. I had a weekend camping trip planned, the fridge is loaded up but I may have to cancel the overnight plans if the fridge isn't operating. :mad2:

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Well, after almost 10 years the Edgestar may be giving up on me. :( When I plug it to the Jeeps 12v power (with the Jeep running or not), the temperature isn't dropping. If I plug it into 110v, then the temp drops just fine and the fridge operates like normal. I've truly gotten my moneys worth out of the Edgestar, it's seen use often and has been thru a lot since I've owned it. It owes me nothing.

While it's been a good fridge, I may be stepping up to either an ARB or Dometic... we will see. I wasn't planning to buy a new fridge. I had a weekend camping trip planned, the fridge is loaded up but I may have to cancel the overnight plans if the fridge isn't operating. :mad2:
Is your battery getting weak? I had a similar problem with my ARB fridge just before my battery crapped out. Strange because the battery would start the truck, but the fridge just didn’t like how much power it was receiving.

DAA

The ARB will signal if it's not liking the battery. Does yours do that Greg? If it's adjustable for shut down voltage to avoid killing your battery, you might try setting it as low of voltage as it will go.

- DAA

Greg

Admin
Is your battery getting weak? I had a similar problem with my ARB fridge just before my battery crapped out. Strange because the battery would start the truck, but the fridge just didn’t like how much power it was receiving.

I have my doubts that the battery is failing. It's maybe 2 years old at the most and is a high quality AGM battery. No other indicators that the battery is weak, but I could load test it and see. Good feedback!

The ARB will signal if it's not liking the battery. Does yours do that Greg? If it's adjustable for shut down voltage to avoid killing your battery, you might try setting it as low of voltage as it will go.

- DAA

I don't think this one is that fancy, but I believe it will automatically turn off if the voltage falls below 10.4 volts.

What's funny is that I ended up taking the Jeep out with the fridge loaded all day yesterday and kept checking the temperature frequently. Everything worked as it should, the fridge stayed at around 38゚ all day long. I'm thinking my power cord might have a few broken strands of wire in it and when the cord is sitting a certain way the fridge was not getting enough amperage to operate properly. I moved my power cord when I was checking things out and wonder is perhaps it's sitting in a way where all the wires are making contact...?

My power cord has been replaced once before after it was crushed and wires were exposed. I think I will replace it again and see what happens.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
I'm thinking my power cord might have a few broken strands of wire in it and when the cord is sitting a certain way the fridge was not getting enough amperage to operate properly. I moved my power cord when I was checking things out and wonder is perhaps it's sitting in a way where all the wires are making contact...?

My power cord has been replaced once before after it was crushed and wires were exposed. I think I will replace it again and see what happens.

The damn Edgestar just doesn't want to die... I replaced the power cord (this is the 3rd one since I've owned it) with a Whynter Brand 12V power cord and plugged the fridge in for a 3 day trip up to Utah and back.... the fridge worked flawlessly. It was in the back seat of the truck, where I could keep an eye on the digital temp. setting over time. It seems that some of the power wires in the 12V power cord had broken, providing enough power to turn on the fridge, but not enough to keep operating at cold temps. Makes sense why it would work fine on 110V and not on 12V.

The new power cord plug at the fridge is a 90* plug versus the Edgestar plug that stuck straight out and the power wires seem larger, so that's a good sign and the 90* plug should help keep the power wires more protected. I need to do a better job of protecting the cord while the fridge is in the back of the Jeep, perhaps some kind of beefy wire loom is in order. Even though the fridge is tied down, some times the power cord gets pinched while bouncing around offroad.

I was ready to buy either an ARB or an Engle fridge, settled on an ARB since it has some better features!

craigrrr

Hey Greg, good news! So when your old cord was plugged in it showed the temp and the red display looked fine? just would not drop in temp..Did I get that right. thanks

Greg

Admin
Hey Greg, good news! So when your old cord was plugged in it showed the temp and the red display looked fine? just would not drop in temp..Did I get that right. thanks

Yeah, that's correct. With the fridge running on 12 Volt power it would power on, the display would light up, but the temperature wouldn't drop much at all. Once running on 110v power it was fine, temp would drop like normal. The power wire had been pinched, but wasn't broken... from the outside. I suppose I could have checked the power wire for resistance with a meter.... but I didn't.

D

Deleted member 12904

So mine has an issue where it will randomly set the temp to 0 deg. Had an issue this summer with it freezing and exploding all the drinks. I'm a little gun shy on using it now.

Greg

Admin
So mine has an issue where it will randomly set the temp to 0 deg. Had an issue this summer with it freezing and exploding all the drinks. I'm a little gun shy on using it now.

Mine hasn't done that, but every time I plug it in, I double check the temperature it's set to.

You could call Edgestar... could be a fault in the control panel?

Greg

Admin
At this point, it's been over 10 years and my original Edgestar FP430 is still going strong. For the last year, I have been using is weekly transporting perishables for my week of work away from home. It's showing some wear and tear, the plastic handles on the sides have broken and the plastic coating on the wire baskets have worn thru and started to rust. I need to replace the handles and baskets, hopefully upgrade to steel handles. I was looking at replacing it, but think I'll just repair the broken/worn parts and keep it in service.

I've been super impressed with this thing lasting for so long. It's probably not the most efficient, doesn't have all the fancy options, etc... but it does the job and is built to last.

J-mobzz

So a few post up I reported mine would reset to 0. It ended up being a seal issue. I replaced the seal and haven’t had an issue since.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I was cleaning my fridge yesterday after its most recent outing and I was thinking the same thing as you, Greg; I'm consistently impressed with this thing. For the price, they just cant be beat. Like you said, they are simple with no frills; but they're just workhorses.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
After four years of consistant use and abuse, I decided to give the ole Edgestar a small upgrade:

50024267427_abc6347f97_b.jpg

50024008076_364c196d81_b.jpg

Bought a Whynter Transit Bag for it off Amazon Warehouse for $35. Add's a bit more insulation and dust protection, and makes it look a little more expo!

J-mobzz

So a few post up I reported mine would reset to 0. It ended up being a seal issue. I replaced the seal and haven’t had an issue since.

Been used a ton since this issue. Never resets anymore. I did have the compressor stop kicking on after a week of dusty roads and the fridge was caked in dirt. I clean it all out really good and have used the fridge 15 is days since with no issues.
This things really has been a bargain considering the price paid, abuse taken and longevity.

Greg

Admin
After 12 years of use and abuse and the Edgestar fridge being used weekly to transport perishables to and from work, I think I have an issue that is going to require removing it from service.

Last week I plugged the fridge in to 120 V power to keep some food items cool while my truck was parked and when I checked on it a few days later, it had shut off on its own. If I power it backup, it's giving an error of 'HH'.

20210523_181023.jpg

The fast freeze option still works, but apparently it doesn't want to run in its normal refrigeration mode. I have not really dug into it yet to see if I can reset the issue, but so far it has not changed. It's funny because it still works, but not normally.

It might be time to retire this fridge and step up to something higher quality. I can't complain about the service and life that it has given me, especially for the initial cost. Pricing of these fridges has gone up quite a bit since I bought mine and spending money on a replacement is going to be much more.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Some reviews on the cheap Amazon fridges say all the compressors are made in the same Chinese factory as the ARB fridges..

...Just like the tents. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
After 12 years of use and abuse and the Edgestar fridge being used weekly to transport perishables to and from work, I think I have an issue that is going to require removing the Edgestar from service.

Last week I plugged the fridge in to 120 V power to keep some food items cool while my truck was parked and when I checked on it a few days later, it had shut off on its own. If I power it backup, it's giving an error of 'HH'.

View attachment 137743

The fast freeze option still works, but apparently it doesn't want to run in its normal refrigeration mode. I have not really dug into it yet to see if I can reset the issue, but so far it has not changed. It's funny because it still works, but not normally.

It might be time to retire this fridge and step up to something higher quality. I can't complain about the service and life that it has given me, especially for the initial cost. Pricing of these fridges has gone up quite a bit since I bought mine and spending money on a replacement is going to be much more.
Twelve years is pretty good.

I'm a year into my low budget Massimo and it's holding up, if you'd rather not pay ARB prices just yet...

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
After 12 years of use and abuse and the Edgestar fridge being used weekly to transport perishables to and from work, I think I have an issue that is going to require removing it from service.

View attachment 137743

I guess its the cost/benefit analysis as to if an "upgrade" is needed. Personally, I still don't think the expense of the pricier fridges is necessary. I mean you got 12 years out of your Edgestar! Thats great for any piece of regularly used electronic equipment. Personally I'd just buy another one and put the money you saved on buying a more expensive fridge in the gas tank.