Gear Review- EdgeStar Freezer/Refrigerator

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
This thread popped up at a great time... I just stumbled on the Whynter Fridges the other day on homedepot.com and was wondering about the quality.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
How many people do you pack food for? Is the 45 big enough for a family? Do you have any regret that you didn't get the 65?

D

Deleted member 12904

How many people do you pack food for? Is the 45 big enough for a family? Do you have any regret that you didn't get the 65?

We we just did 4 days with 4 people with the 65 and brought home overpacked food. We did keep most of the drinks in a different cooler though. I would think it would depend on the type of food you pack. Like we packed a gallon of milk that's a lot of cooler space. I'm sure the smaller would work if food size was taken into consideration.

Tonkaman

the beverages are what pushed me up to the big 82 QT. I know I can just restock everyday but then that's just more space taken up elsewhere. The foot print is isn't much bigger than the smaller model just height. I'm glad I got the one I did, especially after this last weekend at the sand dunes. We went through lots of beverages and they were all ice cold

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I didn't know you had the beast size fridge Derek. I guess the hard part of deciding what size is that I don't know whats coming down the road. Right now I'm sure a 50-ish quart size would be more than plenty for myself since my wife isn't a camper and my son is tiny. In a few years though I'm not sure if my wife will change her mind on camping or if we'll have more kids or whatever. I suppose the prudent thing would be to wait and see how things shake out with the family since our trips are still evolving, especially with the prices of even the "cheap" fridges.

Tonkaman

Your probably right about the 50 being sufficient. But stuff in as big as you can. You can rent a 50 from Kurt , that would be well worth it. Your also welcome to take mine to know if it's too big

lhracing

So I bought a Whynter 82 quart fridge and it kills my battery overnight. I was just doing a test and it did not have anything in it so I am not sure if it would hold the temp better if it was full. Any thoughts for other users?

D

Deleted member 12904

So I bought a Whynter 82 quart fridge and it kills my battery overnight. I was just doing a test and it did not have anything in it so I am not sure if it would hold the temp better if it was full. Any thoughts for other users?

Add another battery? That's kind of crazy Ive had my 65 quart out a bunch and haven't has battery issues at all.

Tonkaman

It will definitely last longer when stocked with cold goods. I don't think that it should be killing your battery overnight though.

For reference my ARB 82 quart will run for 2 days before kicking itself off on the low voltage protection setting. Even then my truck will fire right up

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I would have the battery checked out, it may have lost a cell or 2 and can't recover. My 43 qt. has been left plugged in for days in a row, nothing in it and it still has enough juice to start the Jeep.

lhracing

Thanks for the suggestions, the battery could be an issue but it is fairly new and has started the Jeep up every time, no problems until I did the fridge test. I am going to load it with some water bottles, pre cool on 120 AC and give it a try again. Planning a trip to Hole in the Rock this fall and want to use the fridge. I did pick up one of the new mini jump start battery packs to take along.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
When my battery was on the way out, one night with my fridge running after a long drive and I barely got the truck started. Within about a week my battery was junk, wouldn't hold a charge.

D

Deleted member 12904

I just got back from a trip where I Ran my 65 quart for 3 full days straight on this battery with no issues. Didn't have to charge it once. Very happy so far with this cooler

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I got an Edgestar FP-430 a little while ago off Amazon for a cool $400 and have been super impressed with it. Its been on a few trips so far and has performed amazingly well. I'll freely admit that the build quality isn't quite as high as the ARB's I've used in the past, but since I'm not trekking across the Sahara I don't think thats a big deal. And really, at around $300 less, you can't beat it. The cooling element seems solid, cools everything down nice and quick and I like the battery voltage readout. Very helpful indicator. I've let it run for two days without starting the car and keeping an empty fridge at 32* to test and it never drained the battery low enough to trigger the cut out. For someone looking for a fridge to take on the short excursion, I think this is a great option.

30216925095_62103bf6f9_z.jpg

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I got an Edgestar FP-430 a little while ago off Amazon for a cool $400 and have been super impressed with it. Its been on a few trips so far and has performed amazingly well. I'll freely admit that the build quality isn't quite as high as the ARB's I've used in the past, but since I'm not trekking across the Sahara I don't think thats a big deal. And really, at around $300 less, you can't beat it. The cooling element seems solid, cools everything down nice and quick and I like the battery voltage readout. Very helpful indicator. I've let it run for two days without starting the car and keeping an empty fridge at 32* to test and it never drained the battery low enough to trigger the cut out. For someone looking for a fridge to take on the short excursion, I think this is a great option.

We just got back from 4 days of offroad travels with the Edgestar keeping our precious food and beverages cool and I'm still happy. I figured this fridge would last me a couple years and then crap out, then I'd pony up and buy and ARB or Engel but the Edgestar keeps doing it's thing! 7 yrs later with frequent use and I'm still very happy with my purchase!

You have a link Stephen? $400 seems like a good price for one these days.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Greg, your long term review of this is what really tipped me over the edge to get one, so thanks for that.

Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/43-Portable-...&srs=2591100011&ie=UTF8&qid=1476055861&sr=1-4

I signed up for an Amazon Rewards card when I bought this and used the $70 off my first purchase on this. Then just paid the the card off. Worked out pretty good. But $460 and free shipping isn't half bad either!

craigrrr

Yep, bringing up the dead here. lol I just bought a used edgestar fp430 and wondered how long should it take to get to 39* say ambient temp of 90* yeah it's hot here Arizona low desert. I also see that someone added a bullet piercing valve on it to add refrigerant. I put a gauge on it and it was about 1 psi low side so if anyone has any info on any of this stuff would be appreciated.