Gearing.... Whats 'Too much?'

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hey,

I noticed that RockLogic is having a sale on Advanced Adapter parts (4.7 Gears!!) for Toy Cases and was thinking about MORE gearing in my ride. I currently have 108 to 1, with the stock 4 Cylinder pushing. Its great..... a huge improvement over a single T-Case, but as you know, the mods NEVER END.

If I threw in a set of 4.7's, I would have 223 to 1. I know I would rarely use it, but when I needed it, I think the truck would perform awsome!

It's all about Options. I'd have the choice of-

46 to 1
97 to 1
223 to 1

I felt like I needed more gearing once or twice on Upper Helldorado.... Sometimes you just can't go slow enough. So what are the thoughts...... is it justifyable?

I already know what I'm going to do, just looking for opinions now!

Oh, and all you non- 4 Cyl guys.......remember, I need gearing to make up for the Torque you already have. 223 to 1 w/ a Small Block Chevy would be asking for trouble!!!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Here's my $.03:

With the 4.7 gears in one case, you can have basically the same gearing you do now, with the front case in Hi and the rear in Low. You still retain your stock 2.28:1 range for the faster sections of course, then the option of the insanely low gears. All in all, you'll probably end up using 4.7 low more often than anything else, but the more choices you have, the better.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I would say go for it. I met a guy in Moab (goes by the name "ZUK" on many of the forums) that has that same setup. Dual cases and 4:1 in one of the cases.

Here is the story. I was talking to him about lines on Double Whammy, and he said "Here, let me show you a good one." He drove his toyota up to the ledge, hoped out and let the yota idle half way up double whammy. The whole time he was saying "put your tire here, let it turn this way... " basically being funny. When his left rear tire starts climbing the second ledge, He hoped back in, shifted into 2nd gear and crawled the rest of the way up Double Whammy without spinning a tire.

I was extremely impressed, to say the least.

Here is his website: http://dreamwater.com/zuk/toyota.html

Very cool guy too. He has a well built toyota.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by I Lean
Here's my $.03:

With the 4.7 gears in one case, you can have basically the same gearing you do now, with the front case in Hi and the rear in Low. You still retain your stock 2.28:1 range for the faster sections of course, then the option of the insanely low gears. All in all, you'll probably end up using 4.7 low more often than anything else, but the more choices you have, the better.

Carl....always giving more than most people... (I usually only give $.02.....:D

P

pokeyYJ

While not having a Toy, I do share the same fate of only 4 cylinders. I would say that the more gearing the better. There have been many a time that I have wanted lower gears seeing that I only have ONE case and it has 2.72's in it. I would always go with the lower gears, especially since you have more than one case. The higher gears are great for dune running and the lower gears are great for crawling. I plan on doing the Tere Low 4 to 1 and a Klune V underdrive on mine. Spin those squirrels.;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
General rule: the lower gearing the better. You can always shift into a higher gear if you feel the need but without adding lower gears you can't go lower... I can name a hundred places I would have loved to have a little lower ratio and I am sitting good now with my I6, H55f, & 4.56's. When t-case gears become more readily produced for my t-case, I will jump to it instantly. Just my humble opinion...

Andy

aka. Hollywood
I think Toyotas do well with the low range kits, but some Jeeps & Broncos there is such a thing as too low, I'm running 5.13's, 4.3 Atlas, and 700r4, and some times it's to low.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by Andy
I think Toyotas do well with the low range kits, but some Jeeps & Broncos there is such a thing as too low, I'm running 5.13's, 4.3 Atlas, and 700r4, and some times it's to low.

I could see how that can be, at least you have an Auto tranny!

Caleb

I am debating between running this setup(except for a TH350 instead of a TH700) and running a 203/205 doubler...with the doubler I get more options but the length is a little longer at 21.5" overall length...but the doubler is cheaper too...hmmm choices:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

I can see that, it does seem like yota/zuk vehicles prosper more with lower gears...must be a substitute for HP!:D

Andy

aka. Hollywood
I think the doubler kits are sweet if you have the room, I don't have the room, and don't need the weight. If I had a full size blazer or whatever the weight is not an issue, and the size is just right. I do find my self wishing I had that middle gear. It's all about options man, options.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
Hey greg remeber in lil moab how I tried to bump up that hill but couldn't make it. well here is how I attacked the hill. 4.7 low 1st gear hard to hit the hill soft. So I put it in double low got the front tires up easy (birfs) popped it back in 4.7 low and hit it. Not enough tourque. So I throw it in 4.7 second gear and try and bump it....naaaaa. So it goes double low 3rd gear almost make it. try double low 2nd gear and just spin for a while. Dropped it back out of double low into just 4.7 (BTW I RARELY use 2.whatever low anymore) 1st gear and go...well you get the idea. the more options the better.
remember 15 forward gear options in 4wd. :)

BRBx4

if you have the money for the 4.7's, do it and dont look back. you will love it. i am 190:1 and its sweet. i am going back to 4.10 v6 thirds for strength, but with my 5.29's, this was perfect. i do wish i had the 4.7's instead of the 4 to ones, but 4's were cheaper when i got them 2 years ago. i will be round 150 to one now and it'll be good, but around 200 is the $hit--hth do it!