Gearing

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
:confused: I don't know much about gearing, except that I need to regear. I have a 1980 GMC Sierra, I just rebuilt the 350 4-bolt, RV cam .30 over, flat top pistons, and an Edelbrock 600 carb. From what the rpo code tells me it has a 3.08 ratio and this doesn't do very well with the 35x12.5 tires on it. Anybody have some ideas on what gears I should go with? It has a 350 tranny and 205 case if that matters.

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
I do kind of half and half with it. I'd like to get a kind of happy medium. I've heard the 205's are geared a little high. I'd like to have decent climbing and trailing ability, but still be able to do 70 on the highway without redlining. This is my substitute till I get my 4-runner done this fall hopefully, that will be my trail rig.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
yea if you are that tall in gears right now...4.10's will be fine..if you stay with 35's if it is still slow you can go to 33's or 4.56's

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
I had thought of 4.10s, just wasn't sure. Thats most likely what I'll go with. When the Runner is together it'll take over the 35"s, and I'll probably drop to 33"s or the truck. Thanx

ToyinAround

Watch This!.....Trust Me
Ya man,you have to regear that thing before you come up this summer.i can't wait til i get my 4.88's in that i just picked up.i really want to see if they will make the big differance i've been told they will.i'd really like to try putting them in myself but i just don't know...

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
:D It'll definately be regeared before I come up. The way it is now, if I get into a really sticky hole up there it would probably stop. 4.10s ought to make her pretty good. It'll cost around $300 for the gears, and I'm going to talk to Ben and see if he knows how to set em up. I don't want to mess em up and be stranded half way between Utah and Michigan, in Nebraska the land of corn or something.