General Dirt Bike Questions

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
There were some pretty big changes in the '08+ KTM that make a MUCH better bike. At $3k you'll probably be just out priced, if you could possibly raise your budget and look for the right deal, I bet you could find one.

Caleb

Yep, as Greg said, 08+ is what to look for. Something else to keep in mind, unlike the Jap bikes, ktm makes improvements every year so the newer you get, the better the bike is likely to be. That's not to say an 06 won't be a sweet bike, but an 08 will be even better :)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The price looks good. Don't quote me, but I think the SX only has a 4 speed transmission, which would suck for anything more than track riding... and the suspension is going to be pretty harsh for trail riding, too.

Caleb

I was going to bring up the gears on an sx, they are either 4 or 5 speed, not the 6 you get with most other models. Sx is a supercross/motor cross bike so it'll probably be great on the track :) if you can get down there, it may be worth a test ride and see how you like it. It's got some good parts, if you like how it rides, that's a pretty good price (IMO).

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
there is another down there with the 300 kit, and a desert tank, but he wants a little more, and has no recluse. Both have 5 speed trani's.

I'm having an internal turmoil debate between the two.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I'd be out, even more so if it's priced like a bike with a clear title. Keep looking, you'll find the right one soon.
Too late. Look what followed me home.

image.jpg

The branded title was supposedly a sub frame and air box that broke In a wheelie over.
we looked it over pretty good and felt satisfied. I brought my mechanic, Derek.

Paid $2,700 and got a trunk full of plastics, seals, kickstand, gas tanks, etc.

bike seems pretty clean and tight. Not quite a yz's power, but very nimble handling.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
He's not kidding. He got a "trunk" full. Towed it home behind his car. :cool:

Really clean looking bike. All KTM's look fast and nimble! Wish we coulda gone on a ride tonight when you dropped by.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
How does a motorcycle end up with a branded title from a sub frame change? The bike looks clean and I am not trying to be negative about the purchase, but I would imagine you would have to change the whole frame to cause that. There was a few years where KTM had frame issues.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
It didn't add up to me either. It was all PO and not the guy we bought it from. I figure I'll have it long enough that it won't matter by the time I sell it. I can also pick up a whole frame and title on eBay for ~$300, which would solve the entire issue.
I wasnt too concerned about a title issue as long as the bike was good.