Getting a snowblower

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Pics of the rubber mods?
I will try to pull it out of the shed and post some pics. There are YouTube videos about it. You basically find a hard rubber or other semi moldable material and attach it to the blades of the 2nd stage. The idea is to create close to zero tolerance between the blade and the chute to scrape the sides of the chute and not allow for clogs. It also increases the outside speed of the blade allowing for more snow throwing force.

I did it to my FIL’s too and it made it a whole new machine.

4x4_Welder

I added strips I cut from a conveyor belt on my old Craftsman 46" blower, once I got the drive ratio dialed in on my tractor it did pretty well.
As a bonus, using rubber flaps makes them much less sensitive to rock damage.

Hardcastle

I'm also set on getting as snowblower this year. For those of you recommending single vs double stage can you say how much snow you're getting? I'm at 5,200 feet in elevation. Google says my town gets 90" of annual snowfall. Previously i lived at 4,500 feet with 50" of average snowfall and always used a shovel on my 85'x20' driveway. That sucked so now with more snow and a bigger driveway i want to find my best option.

4x4_Welder

You'll want something that can take a decent pass. My previously mentioned 46" snowblower was adapted onto a Yanmar tractor, and worked great through the winter hellscape of eastern Oregon a few years back. When I was in Rexburg, I had the blower mounted on an 18hp Craftsman tractor and it struggled a little. The Yanmar was officially only about 13hp, but way more torque from that diesel.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
My new Ego just arrived. If you're looking at one they are $50 cheaper at Ace than Home Depot

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
While we're chatting about snowblowers, I'm saddened that since I moved to AF and picked up a 2-stage blower, it doesn't snow much at all here... It's weird, I live in a 10block section of AF that just doesn't get the snow even when surrounding towns and neighborhoods can get decent snow.

So I would be just fine with a small/fast single stage... and now I'm eyeing the Ryobi 40V 21" snow thrower...

Hardcastle

Mantua gets a decent amount of snow. I would be looking at a decent sized 2 stage.

I first assumed i'd want a 2 stage but when i saw folks liked their big CC singles it made me wonder. I've never owned one so i really don't have much to go off of. I'll probably just stick with my first idea and see how it goes. Thanks

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I first assumed i'd want a 2 stage but when i saw folks liked their big CC singles it made me wonder. I've never owned one so i really don't have much to go off of. I'll probably just stick with my first idea and see how it goes. Thanks
It really depends on how wet the snow is when it falls in your area. I'm assuming it's colder there in Mantua. If it's always pretty dry snow my single stage would have no problem with some pretty deep stuff.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am still interested if Derek passes.. But I also want the Ford tailgate :)
#Nota****inchance

That's my grandpa's tailgate from his 68 F250. He removed it two weeks after buying it brand new so he could keep a truck camper on the truck. It's been in a garage ever since. One day I want to build a bump side ford and paint it that color and run that tailgate. My wife wants it to be a bench.