Getting healthier in 2020. Who's in?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Bad news in my recovery. I was feeling a bit better after my injection so I went snowbiking, was pretty mellow. Felt fine afterwards but now 2 days later I can barely walk. Might be a microsurgery in my future... going in for another conversation with my nuerosurgeon... Anyone have a good story about getting disc hernia surgery?

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
What I did win is a clear understanding of the importance of eating the correct portions of food to match your natural body composition, activity and fitness goals. Proper hydration and adequate sleep are also key factors in weight loss and maintaining your health.

I hired a nutrition / fitness coach in 2018. I dropped nearly 40 lbs while eating more than I ever thought I would. Of course there was a bit of sorcery that he wouldn't reveal to me in how he calculated my daily caloric intake, but that didn't stop me from doing a bit of research. I found this book (Burn the fat, Feed the muscle), read it all the way through and realized that the plan that my coach was providing was very similar if not exactly this.

@XJEEPER is right about the correct balance of food and matching your lifestyle / body type. Be very wary of 'diets' that have severe restrictions on any macro-nutrient, your body needs those nutrients.

The_Lobbster

I'm in. Last year I started intermittent fasting, eating cleaner, and doing about 30 minutes of cardio every morning, and in a couple months, I had dropped almost 10 pounds and was generally starting to feel better overall. Then I stopped for some reason. I'm starting again today, and hope to be down at least 25 pounds this year.

XJEEPER

This is one of the best, simple guides that I have ever seen to assist with the adoption of proper food portion control. https://www.precisionnutrition.com/calorie-control-guide-infographic

And food portion recommendations based on body type.

And this one provides clarity on the efforts required to maintain a lean, muscular physique.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Short Version: Who want to set some goals and reach them with me?

Long Version: I have worked pretty hard at losing some weight recently, and am down about 24 lbs. I've basically done the anorexia diet. I don't eat much.. and when I do, it's just a few pieces of bacon during the day, and a small bit of what ever my wife cooks for dinner. As DAA said a few years ago around a campfire while talking weight loss, "It F***ing sucks being hungry all the time", but it's working.
I think I have lost about all I am going to lose with out adding in some physical effort. I sit at a desk most of the day, and in the seat of my truck for the rest of the day.
I also want to be in better physical shape to handle the dirt bike racing I do. It takes a lot out of me to do a couple hours at race pace.
I have a bad back also. Weighing less helps if feel better.. and Yoga stretches really help.

I would like to have some friends help keep me accountable, so I thought we could give it a shot.

I have a little bit of equipment at home to use. I would like to us it 3 times a week.
I would like to do stretches each morning, but a minimum of 5 days a week.
I want to lose at least another 15 lbs before my birthday in March. I peaked at 237, losing 15 more would put be below 200. If I can get even less, great..

I think an accounting each Sunday night for the weeks progress would keep me motivated to hit my goals.

Anyone want to set some goals and reach them with me??
No goals just advice. Graduated HS 1948 5' 7" 117 lbs. discharge Navy 1952 5' 7" 137 lbs, In 1963 my weight went up to 170 so I stopped eating so much and dropped to 154 and got diabetic from too much sugar. For the last 30 years, I dropped to 5' 6" and have stayed between 147 and 152 lbs.
This is how I did it: All things in moderation, fruit, vegetables, meat, milk, every day. Very little sugar, bread, and cereal. No pastries, some cake on birthdays. I have always been active but now that old age has caught up with me I do the following 3 to 5 times a week; Do 10 minutes of balance exercises, climb 6 flights of stairs, and 20 pushups. I also stretch and try to keep good posture. Don't forget to stretch your neck. That is all because I am still pretty active around the house.
I have also had back problems over the years caused by various accidents and recently added arch supports to my shoes and the back pain went away.
The only way to loose weight is to stop eating but get a balanced diet with fewer carbs and sweets.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I didn't do as awesome last week as I would have preferred... but better than usual!
I stretched 4 days of my 5 days goal.
I only used the equipment 1 time.. but rode dirt bikes for 2 days also.
Scale said 215 this morning.

Coco

Update: I started OMAD yesterday. It hasn't been as bad as I thought so far. I have my moments of hunger, but it should get better the more you go. I am feeling good otherwise, not sluggish or tired during the day like I have been in the past.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Just for fun, I added in sit ups on my 'total gym' this morning.. so it had a decline to it.. That was a bad idea! my abs hurt so bad! I had no idea the decline would make them so much harder.

Scale said 212 this morning, which matches my lowest weight that I hit just over 1 year ago. Which is the lowest in the prior 5 or 6 years. Pretty happy today.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
How’s everybody coming along? I started around 245lbs, most I was ever at was 248. Weighed in this morning at just over 231!
Way to go! That's an incredible decrease!

The lowest I have had the scale say so far is 209 which felt pretty awesome. I stuffed my face over the weekend though, and it set me back a bit :(

I tweaked my back while installing ceiling tiles just after my last update, and then have had a string of back tweaks following every time I think I am better. So I haven't done any additional working out. We have the first race of the year in 2 weeks.. so I hope to get a little working out in before that.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I dropped off from this when I ruptured my bicep. No progress for me right now

how is the recovery going?

I have been pretty slow getting going. I am mostly trying to cut calorie intake. I’ve been on the exercise bike a couple times a week. Nothing has changed on the scale yet. I’m hoping that slow progress will be better for me.

When I have tried before I go all in. Exercise hard, eat good etc. and it lasts maybe a month and I get burned out. See what happens. I also think motivation will be better when it gets warmer out

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have done very very poorly at any exercising, and a just very poorly at stretching. However, I have done very well at managing my food intake, with just a couple days here and there where I don't care. The lowest I have been is 207, which is a solid 30lbs gone. However, with eating a bunch prior to a race, going out for valentines, and a few other gatherings we have had, I am fluctuating between 209-212. I hope to be below 200 for my birthday at the end of march.. Which I think is still obtainable if I focus a little.

One thing I did not anticipate is how freaking COLD I am all the time! Thermostat has always been at 68 during the winter, and it's been fine. I have been keeping it at 70/71, and I still have to keep a sweater or coat on all day. I am currently wearing a hoodie (with hood on), fleece pants, and am wrapped in a blanket. My feet are always frozen. In the truck I have to crank the heat on my feet, but then I have to roll the windows down because It's too hot. Throughout previous winters I have slept with just a sheet, and prefer the fan on if my wife will allow. Now I sleep with 2 blankets and shiver all night.

Tonkaman

I have done very very poorly at any exercising, and a just very poorly at stretching. However, I have done very well at managing my food intake, with just a couple days here and there where I don't care. The lowest I have been is 207, which is a solid 30lbs gone. However, with eating a bunch prior to a race, going out for valentines, and a few other gatherings we have had, I am fluctuating between 209-212. I hope to be below 200 for my birthday at the end of march.. Which I think is still obtainable if I focus a little.

One thing I did not anticipate is how freaking COLD I am all the time! Thermostat has always been at 68 during the winter, and it's been fine. I have been keeping it at 70/71, and I still have to keep a sweater or coat on all day. I am currently wearing a hoodie (with hood on), fleece pants, and am wrapped in a blanket. My feet are always frozen. In the truck I have to crank the heat on my feet, but then I have to roll the windows down because It's too hot. Throughout previous winters I have slept with just a sheet, and prefer the fan on if my wife will allow. Now I sleep with 2 blankets and shiver all night.
I’ll bet Tina is liking the temperature change! I have experienced the same thing in the past.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
You need B12. You're likely deficient. Even if you're a meat-eater, you could be low.

I had the same issue, after 30lb gone. I was chatting with a friend and a woman heard me from across the room and advised me to take a supplement. Literally, 2 days later I was no longer cold. I was wearing sweats in bed and a jacket throughout the day in my cubicle.

I shall put this to the test!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
How's everyone done with their goals since the world started to come unglued?

I'm down 35lbs since starting to eat clean/balanced/healthy portions since beginning of '19, but now I need to add exercise to get my body to let go of more baby fat.

I've been really struggling with some health issues in recent months despite my healthy food choices, which sucks, but the Dr and tests don't lie... I need to get healthier which means actual exercising too. I guess 18mo of healthy eating doesn't make up for decades of not healthy eating. o_O

The last several weeks I've been walking at least 1mi per day 4-6 days a week, whether that's a 15min lap around the property at work twice a day, or a good walk with the dog at night. To get myself into better shape, I've made a goal for myself to hike Timp this fall. I have a gorgeous view of Timp from my backyard, and admire it almost daily.. I decided, why not see what the view from the top looks like?

I'm going to begin low impact (bad knee) HIIT, 3x week on top of my walks. Probably do this for 8-10wks and see where I'm at.

Where'r ya'll at?