Getting Unstuck with a Hi-Lift

DAA

Just for fun... Put together a compilation of a few of the times we got stuck in my buddies EB F-150 and had to use a Hi-Lift to get unstuck.

He sold that truck last week. And just took delivery on another brand new EB F-150. He's already kind of wishing he'd have ordered a Godzilla instead. But he also has a bunch of good quality suspension, tire, wheel and recovery gear ordered for the new truck.

- DAA

DAA

Loved the google earth/drone transition!

Is there a reason he doesn't do a winch on his truck?

Not a good reason! He actually has one of those Warn multi-mount deals that goes in a trailer hitch. It just takes up so much space and weighs so much, that he usually doesn't bring it. And of course, we've never got stuck once, ever, when he did bring it.

- DAA

1969honda

Supporting Member
Thanks for sharing! I actually sent your video to my 16 year old and told him to pay attention if he hadn't learned anything from me to date. The angle iron is a good idea for a simple, multi use piece of kit.

Reactions: DAA

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Any time I've got my hilift, I've got one of those lift mates. The one time I didn't throw the liftmate in and I needed it, I made do with a ratchet strap. But I'm pretty sure I came dang close to it's load rating :rofl:. The liftmate is sturdy and awesome.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Great video @DAA :cool:

Anyone that plans to use a Hi-Lift as a winch, should practice using one as a winch so they know just how arduous it is to move a vehicle at 1" at a time. The Hi-Lift will winch 5000lbs on a single-line-pull. If you have a much lower recovery resistance (less than 2500lbs), you can rig using a pulley-block to acheive a speed advantage, so you'll be getting a whopping 2" per action of the handle.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
1-2" beats having to push, buuuuutttt......

I'm still solidly in the "sometimes it's the right tool" camp but another rig or a winch is better if.available 🤣

True, if available. We've used them on UORRT recoveries when we needed to pendulum the side of a vehicle while winching from the front or the back. The Hi-Lift winch is used to tension the side to keep something from rolling or sliding down a hill. It does beat a Harbor Freight come-a-long :D

DAA

I've used one to winch, even when I had a winch. When going forward suddenly seemed like a really bad idea after all. Used my Hi Lift to winch backwards.

But I only travel with other vehicles two or three times a year. The rest of the time is all single vehicle. And over half of that, just me myself and I. So, I do what it seems like I have to do. Which has included just walking a helluva long ways before too...

Something I cut out of the video, worth mentioning here though, is these jacks really tend to get neglected. Mine all do. They might go a year, two or even three plus years without being used, but mounted on the bumper, or laying in the bed of the truck. Then I need to use it one day and it's rusted all to crap. Any liquid or even actual lube will usually get them running okay. But, not always. I carry a little Hi Lift rebuild kit with new pins and springs in my recovery bag. Actually did have to rebuild one in the field once before I could use it to get myself unstuck.

- DAA