Trip Report Gladiator on Imogene Pass, CO

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
This was the weekend before last, my first real offroad trip in the Gladiator. We normally run Imogene and Black Bear Pass together, making a loop but Black Bear STILL wasn't opened due to extensive trail damage from last Winter. We started in Ouray, drove up Imogene and over to Telluride. Had lunch at a great Italian place in town, then went back over the mountain by way of Ophir Pass.

I have to say, I'm super impressed with the way this thing rides. IMO the Fox 2.0 shocks that come on the Gladiator are valved too lightly, but the coil springs, control arm lengths, push-button disconnect sway bar and even the 33" tires all make for one decent riding 4x4. We did scrape the trailer hitch a couple times, the undercarrige once or twice, but that was it. The San Juan mountain trails are rougher than I've seen them, LOTS of runoff moving material down the mountain and washing the roads out. There were still big snow drifts on Imogene and Ophir has massive swaths of trees that were knocked down due to avalanches.... it was impressive how many slide paths there are up there!

i-pL9wSh5-L.jpg

i-Sx3mhCr-L.jpg

i-tvpdhHS-L.jpg

i-B52zp7J-L.jpg

Someone in a rental Jeep rolled back over the shoulder of the road and a few experienced Jeepers hooked up a winch pulling sideways and a strap tugging forward to keep the rental from tumbling down the hill.

i-Q4vdscK-L.jpg

i-t2H2Rxn-L.jpg

;)

i-FQd6QL6-L.jpg

Even managed to get it on 3 wheels!

i-bcVzHrb-L.jpg

i-qxS3sjv-L.jpg

i-9T5fcjX-L.jpg

i-jwqNgbT-L.jpg

Lunch!

i-6cVJvGv-L.jpg

Ophir Pass-

i-xBx8H3x-L.jpg

i-LsHkjfR-XL.jpg

Greg

Admin
I forgot to look yours over last weekend. They seem super nice!

Yeah, we got a little busy... no worries, we will get the solid axle trucks out together soon!

Greg,
Your pictures are always great, but that 1st one of Ophir Pass is breathtaking to me.
I need to get back up there. I’ve never been on Ophir.

Thanks Stan! I wish I had taken more pics on Ophir, it's a beautiful pass. Each side looks quite different. I'm sure you'd love the trip in your 2A!

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
That's awesome Greg. Glad the Gladiator performed well for ya. You were there the same time we were this year. We just returned this past Sunday after being there since the previous Saturday.

Mike

Greg

Admin
That's awesome Greg. Glad the Gladiator performed well for ya. You were there the same time we were this year. We just returned this past Sunday after being there since the previous Saturday.

Mike

How funny, Mike! I wondered if we'd run into someone we knew down there, but never did. Our trip was just a quick day trip, that's one of the nice things about living in GJ! :)

Sorry about the late reply, I saw this and didn't get around on replying till now.... :rolleyes:

Toad

I am headed to run this trail Thursday. I believe Black Bear Pass is currently open now? How long of a day is it if you combine Black Bear with Imogene?
Anybody have any maps or trail description?

Greg

Admin
I am headed to run this trail Thursday. I believe Black Bear Pass is currently open now? How long of a day is it if you combine Black Bear with Imogene?
Anybody have any maps or trail description?

Black Bear is open, you can run them both in a day, take your time and stop along the day and have plenty of time in the day. BB is one way at the most difficult part, so plan accordingly.