glazing windows

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
How knows the best method or a good info source to glazing windows?

We have all the large windows done in the building, next is the arched windows and they are different. There is nothing holding the window in place other then glazing compound :confused:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Depends on the frame. If it is a wood frame and has no visible molding to retain the glass, then you could use "Push points". Are you useing glazing putty? Pics would be helpful, as detailed as possible.

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Nope it's a steel frame. The frame is like if you made a box out of angle iron. so I have a back plate to put the glazing compound on, then I put the glass in that ... then fill the front in.

This is the closest picture I have of the windows I'm working on .. don't think it will help ... but here it is :D

normal_MVC-799S.JPG

While I'm there this weekend I'll take a few more close ups so you can see what' I'm talking about :)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
There are spring clips that are used with that type of frame. They keep pressure on the glass while the putty cures. I wouldn't touch that project, putty is SOOOOOO old tech, especially in a large job like that.

New frames and IG units would tremendously increase the value of that building and also give you a much better weather resistance.

Looking at the picture you're going to spend more on reglazing than on new windows and most guys won't want to touch that project. What kind of building is that and how are you refinishing it? Wood windows would be awesome there but you could also do a fairly decent vinyl in there.

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
I can't replace the windows unless it's the exact same materal. It's a historical thing.

I'm not going to pay someone. When we first bought the building I got some bids on window replacement ... material and labor all in one .. and they averaged $230K all the way up to $330K ... no thank you! On average to "fix" the arch windows was about $35K each, and i have 4 all together.

So far we've spend about $2,300 and all we have left to do is the arch windows and a few in the basement. I think spending the time to do it myself is well worth that cost savings :)

The spring makes sense. When I was cleaning I kept finding these little clips that looked like someone un-bent a paperclip 1/2 way. :D

Anyway ... I'm off like a heard of turtles to go glaze some windows. I'll either figure it out or redo it later LOL

Ahhhhhhhh, the historical codes are rediculous....but, you have to follow them. If it were possible it would be well worth it to replace those huge ugly units with wood windows, just the energy savings alone would benefit the cost.

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
crimsonride said:
I do this for a living. PM me and I'll come take a look at them.

Sorry Webby, I don't mean to hijack ;)

Talk to me about what you do..... I have a historic home in Ogden and I have a bay window on the front of my house that is dry-rotting away with each passing day. I don't have a budget out-lined yet, but I have been trolling the yellow pages looking for someone to gently rape me. So far I haven't had enough guts to actually make a call. Could you call me with some info about your company and some times that you might be available for a consultation? I am free Thursday until the following Tuesday. Thanks,

James
801-391-7544 cell
307-324-4884 work

jamesgeologist said:
Sorry Webby, I don't mean to hijack ;)

Talk to me about what you do..... I have a historic home in Ogden and I have a bay window on the front of my house that is dry-rotting away with each passing day. I don't have a budget out-lined yet, but I have been trolling the yellow pages looking for someone to gently rape me. So far I haven't had enough guts to actually make a call. Could you call me with some info about your company and some times that you might be available for a consultation? I am free Thursday until the following Tuesday. Thanks,

James
801-391-7544 cell
307-324-4884 work

Sure, I'll give you a call tomorrow. Nex time I'm up there I can take a look at them. I've been rebuilding a lot of those latley. It's kinda a easier route than replacing the whole thing.

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Sweating here .... ok good .. I thought you was talking to be to get a consult. :eek:

No prob on the hijack .. windows are a pain in the butt. I have to try to find 3 sashes that look like the rest of them in the building :-\

Anyone know where I can find double hung, galvanized steel with counter weights windows??

Webby said:
Anyone know where I can find double hung, galvanized steel with counter weights windows??

Ouch! Pretty much nowhere. Those are about the least common window in the least comon configuration for a steel window. Sorry for the bad news but you should probably try to find another option. Finding steel double hungs are going to prove almost impossible unless you go with one of the EXTREMELY expensive steel companies that are still in busness. As you've probably found out there really aren't any steel window companies in busness anymore unless you're looking at extremely high end stuff.

I've never tried this but you may want to contact some welders and see if you can have some of them fabricate something for you that will work.

James. Sorry I didn't call you, I'll try to get ahold of you tomorrow.

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
crimsonride said:
Ouch! Pretty much nowhere.

You'd be surprised what you'll find online if you spend hours and hours looking :D If a local fab guy can't make some ... then we'll go to some of the online sources I found. They are pretty expensive, but it would kinda odd to 80 windows of one time, then 3 of a different on the same floor :rofl:

Yeah, that's kinda odd but that's how they built things back then. I'll try to find some sources for ya. Let me see what I can work up.

Hey Webby. I found a company that we can get steel double hungs through. Let me know what size and options (grids etc) that you need and I'll see what I can work out.

The company is called Hope's and you'll want to look at the jamestown series window.

www.hopeswindows.com

I'm heading up to Ogden right now. If you get this and you want me to come take a look call my cell

Chris
870-5386

Last edited:

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Day late and a dollar short ...

didn't read this until today :(

When you going to be in Ogden again? I'm at the building every weekend from noon to dark (sometimes after). I only work a few blocks from the building so if you are here on a weekday it only take me a min to get there.

We was getting ready to remove one of the sashes this weekend, but if I can avoid that I'd like to. :)