GMC / Chevy GM's LV3 V6, aka the LS-based 4.3

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Figured we'd talk about this neat little engine that I'm sure will be a great platform for swaps. I know people are already using them, but they do have some issues to work around.

What is it? The LV3 is a Gen 5 90* V6 engine, launched in the 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500. Also called the EcoTech3, it shares it's build platform with the well known LS-series. It is based on the fifth generation LT engine and includes the same features such as direct injection, piston cooling jets, active fuel management, variable displacement oil pump, continuously variable valve timing and aluminum cylinder heads and block. The LV3 engine makes 285 HP at 5300 rpm and 305 lb⋅ft at 3900 rpm on regular gasoline.

A quick search and I'm seeing that you can add a tune and get 310 HP and 330 ft.lbs! Pretty impressive for a small, lightweight V6!

One of the bigger hangups with the LV3 is the lack of a factory power steering pump. Factory trucks have electric power steering, but never fear... the aftermarket has already addressed that issue! - ITC Billet and Dirty Dingo both have the pieces to add a PS pump to these newer engines.-

https://www.ictbillet.com/gen-v-lt-...cket-accessory-kit-for-truck-accessories.html

And companies like Howell EFI are making standalone wiring harnesses for the LV3! I'm sure there are other options, but Howell has been around for a long time and build a quality product.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Seems like a great swap engine. What king of mileage do they get in OEM applications? What transmissions are available?

J-mobzz

My ex wife has this in her 2015 Silverado with a 6 speed. Fantastic engine. Tows every bit as good as my 2003 Silverado with a 5.3 did gets fantastic fuel economy for a full size truck also. I’ve driven her truck a lot and I am honestly super impressed with that engine. I wish Toyota would put something similar in its Tacoma.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Seems like a great swap engine. What king of mileage do they get in OEM applications? What transmissions are available?

Looks like the Chevy Silverado 1500 with the LV3 V6 is rated for 18 MPG city, 24 MPG highway... pretty good for a 1/2 ton truck!

I'd imagine any of the LS-based transmissions will bolt up, but I believe comes factory with a 6 speed, maybe the 8 speed for the latest trucks? I'm not sure. If it has the LS-based bellhousing bolt pattern, the it should be pretty easy to bolt up an older TH350/400, 700R4/4L60E,4L80E, etc,

XJEEPER

A few decades back (3 actually), I performed a 4.3 TBI engine swap, mated to a TH350 trans and used the Howells Plug and Play harness. Super slick install and looks factory. The newest version of the 4.3 nets 100hp more that the 1st Gen and weighs less, double bonus!