Go Big or Go Home

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Knock on wood I haven’t had any major issues with either of the 2 semi I have owned, but I cringe at the thought of the tow bill I will have if I ever do

Definitely will be more than the truck is worth

Bart

I've been bouncing back and forth on going this direction for years. My problem is that I still use my truck as a commuter in the winter and in foul weather.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Knock on wood I haven’t had any major issues with either of the 2 semi I have owned, but I cringe at the thought of the tow bill I will have if I ever do

Definitely will be more than the truck is worth
I pay $85/year for a AAA RV policy that gives me 100 miles of towing. No guarantee to be within 100 miles of someplace that can work on a Freightliner, but it should be enough to get me close.

Raleigh

OMF Dave
I lost a tire on the way to Moab, on a Saturday.

The mobile guy had a tire, but it was a big charge to have him come replace it.
I paid $600 for that 1 tire, and $1100 for the other 3 drives to be replaced at a shop.

I will have to look into the AAA thing

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..

I paid $600 for that 1 tire, and $1100 for the other 3 drives to be replaced at a shop.

Ya I usually have a tire and some spoons with me on trips. 😂

The AAA sounds ideal. I need this

boogie_4wheel

Check your axle weight. Could you get away with running a single on the rear? Remove the bad tire, or steal a rear to run on the front. That'll get you home so you can deal with it at your convenience. Just pack a bottle jack and a 3/4 drive to get the lugnuts off/on.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Check your axle weight. Could you get away with running a single on the rear? Remove the bad tire, or steal a rear to run on the front. That'll get you home so you can deal with it at your convenience. Just pack a bottle jack and a 3/4 drive to get the lugnuts off/on.
This. I've had to single out before when I blew an old recap. Semi tires can be pretty easy to change with some simple tools.

Raleigh

OMF Dave
I am way under as far as weight goes, my main concern was all 4 tires were 7 years old, and if I lost 1, the others aren't far behind.

I have a torque multiplier and a 20 ton bottle jack, if he didn't have the tire that's exactly what I would have done

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am way under as far as weight goes, my main concern was all 4 tires were 7 years old, and if I lost 1, the others aren't far behind.

I have a torque multiplier and a 20 ton bottle jack, if he didn't have the tire that's exactly what I would have done
That's what happened to me when I lost that recap. The company had bought the truck at auction and the tires were all old. I lost 3 tires within a week.